Uh oh....

Gotta love that wiring . . .
Gopher

Uh oh....

Post by Gopher »

Ok,

After getting my 74 spider last week, it didn't run since it left PO and had been sitting since Sept. he could n't get it to start and so far neither can I.

I have replaced coil, wires, cap and rotor, both condesors at dizzy....still, it cranks but no start. Smells of fuel and even with starting fluid in carb...nothing. no spark going through to plugs....they are pretty nasty anyway and will be changed out. New terminals on fully charged battery. Cranks pretty hard.

I did notice that the PO or the PPO did something to the distributor because I am having trouble threading and tightening down right side screw to secure it, can only get a thread or two to lock IF I am careful. One of the condensors was secured under this screw as well with previous cap. Am I in the market for a new distributor or allison's distributorless ignition kit for a few bucks more? how can you test a distibutor?

Thanks. sorry for my ignorance on this.

Brian
vandor
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider

Re: Uh oh....

Post by vandor »

You can test the distributor by disconnecting the green wire and putting an ohm meter on it. When you crank the car the ohm meter's needle should be jumping as the points open and close.
To test the coil ground the negative terminal for a seocnd and then disconnect the wire. There should be a spark when you disconnect the wire.
Csaba
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'17 124 Abarth, silver
http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/
Co-owner of the best dang Fiat parts place in town
124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Post by 124JOE »

no spark
test the coil for power "12v".///if dead:run a hot wire to it but disconnect the original wire first"test"///
if its not getting it then your ING stoped supplying power to it
you need to replace it or if your good tear it apart and clean it
cap,rotor, plugs

dont "over fix" alot of things at once
because you want to know witch one it is
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com
Gopher

Post by Gopher »

Thanks,

very true about overfixing. I changed it all as part of planning when I got the car as I didn't know when it was last done. Car has been sitting for awhile.