Two batteries dead within one month...HELP appreciated

Gotta love that wiring . . .
baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Re: Two batteries dead within one month...HELP appreciated

Post by baltobernie »

jimincalif wrote:Time for an exorcism...
If you get one, be sure and pay the invoice promptly ...

otherwise, you'll get ...

re-possessed :mrgreen: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Post by 124JOE »

the starting system is a pyriamid.batt, starter, alt.
if one goes out the others my fail
i seen a batt someone left a dipstick laying under the hood
and it slid around untill it layed across the batt
it too was melted and leaking

i also had a bad alt once in a car i shared with a friend
he/we had to unplug the batt when not in use
or it would be dead in the morning

and a bad starter can pull too much juice from the batt
and thats hard on the batt and alt

make sure you clean up that acid or it will eat paint and rust
use a baking soda and water paste
then rince

theres a plug in the bottom of the trunk to drain
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com
kolls
Your car is a: 1980 fiat spider

Post by kolls »

I just had the exact same thing happen to me.. I ruined a brand new interstate battery due to the altenator overcharging.. it was putting out over 19volts... :shock: :shock:. either get you a battery load tester that will test the charging system or use a volt/ohm meter and start the car and the check the voltage across the battery..

http://www.harborfreight.com/100-amp-6- ... 90636.html
124JOE

Post by 124JOE »

if you cant test the alt you could unhook the batt
unhook the alt wires then unbolt it and bring it to autozone for testing
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ORFORD2004
Your car is a: 1983 PININFARINA

Post by ORFORD2004 »

A multimeter is a minimum when you own a Spider :lol:
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Post by manoa matt »

EITHER the negative ground cable is bad, OR the alternator is overcharging. BOTH will cause the symptoms you have.

I stated to replace the negative ground cable first as its the ceapest and easiest solution ($6) and will elimenate that item as a variable. If replacing the cable does not solve the problem, then look to the voltage regulator. It's a black box attached to the back of the alternator with two screws. The voltage regulators are $20-25 at any auto parts store and can be switched out with two screws and without taking out the alternator. Easy, and one can do it. The voltage regulator also contains the contact brushes for the alternator so its considered a "periodic replacement part"

Even if the voltage regulator does not solve the problem, at least you will have elimenated that as a variable. You can keep the extra one in the trunk for an emergency if the other fails. (Its an electrical part, and their nature is to eventually fail without much warning).

Finally, if the first two items do not solve it, the problem will be failure of the diodes in the alternator itself. The alternator can be rebuilt by a local facility that rebuilds starters and alternators. The price to rebuild it will be close to the price of a new one at a local auto parts store. However the rebuilder will use your original Italian alternator and should issue a 1 year warranty on the work. Buying a new or rebuilt unit from a local auto parts store can be a gamble some times. Is it truely rebuilt? Was it made in China?

Its always good to start diagnosis with the small ticket items that are easy to replace ( battery cable/voltage regulator) then move on to the big ticket items ( battery/alternator).
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

replacing parts and hoping they cure a problem you haven't diagnosed is a good way to spend lots of money needlessly.
dkphotog

Post by dkphotog »

So Cal Mark wrote:replacing parts and hoping they cure a problem you haven't diagnosed is a good way to spend lots of money needlessly.
Thanks Mark - thanks - everyone who answered. I've got some interesting updates and by Monday when my new fiat friend troubleshoots with me - should have a good answer as to what was the source......or sources of the problem.

I can say for sure that the battery ground cable (the negative cable) was extremely dirty, corroded and one of the copper wires that make up the whole bundle was severed. While cleaning it and trying to put it back on (my first time ever doing anything like this).....I over-tightened it and cracked the connection...not to mention torquing it to try to get it off then severing a few more copper wires. Expletives followed :twisted:

Obviously - new cable on order and installed as soon as I get it. Positive side is dirty as well and will be cleaned. Battery acid cleaned and subdued with vinegar, water, and lots of rinsing and drying of the whole area. I removed everything including the spare to make sure the whole trunk was clean.

Alternator - on order.....I want the 95 amps regardless so this is a safe bet spending money on this replacement.

When my car is up and running again & the carb is purring.....I'll be one happy camper!!!
majicwrench

Post by majicwrench »

You can buy a cheapy digital voltmeter for just a few bucks at any parts store, and knowing a few numbers here is absolutely critical.

Keith
124JOE

Post by 124JOE »

sooo bad wires
yes that will fix alot of isuess
dkphotog

Post by dkphotog »

A BIG THANKS to "RoyBatty" for helping me & working on my car...supposedly it's a "fiat thing" but whatever it is I'm grateful. CAR IS RUNNING - like a champ!!!!

**Final Update**

-Battery cable switched out for new, cleaner connection
-Exchanged leaking battery for new one
-95 amp alternator installed (total beast getting the old one out)
-new belt needed for alternator...slightly smaller one
-carburetor was very loose - creating lots of problems!!!
-idle adjusted to run a little higher

**Future fixes**

- install new EMPI 32/36 carburetor
- new air filter after old one passes smog
- etc, etc, etc, etc!!!! 8)
kmead
Your car is a: 1969 850 SC 1970 124 SC 85 X19

Post by kmead »

Congrats on getting things in order.

As it is so often with these cars, its the myriad of small things which really have a major effect on the performance of the car

Happy to see you will be motoring on.

Karl
Karl

1969 Fiat 850 Sports Coupe
1970 Fiat 124 Sports Coupe
1985 Bertone X1/9
RoyBatty
Your car is a: 1975 124 Spider - 1971 124 Sport Coupe

Post by RoyBatty »

I heard that old Roy was a sucker for a pretty face. ;)
You know, the whole "damsel in distress with a Fiat" thing. :D
Glad to be able to help you out. Let's hope the weather is warmer for the next round, eh?
Take a few minutes on occasion and pull the cover from the battery mount to look at the condition of the battery. You want to make sure that you aren't having any more issues with acid back there.
If you need help with the EMPI install, let me know. And if you don't end up needing the stock carb I left, We'll make arrangements to get it back to me.
Good luck and keep us posted.
dkphotog

Post by dkphotog »

RoyBatty wrote:I heard that old Roy was a sucker for a pretty face. ;)
You know, the whole "damsel in distress with a Fiat" thing. :D
Glad to be able to help you out. Let's hope the weather is warmer for the next round, eh?
Take a few minutes on occasion and pull the cover from the battery mount to look at the condition of the battery. You want to make sure that you aren't having any more issues with acid back there.
If you need help with the EMPI install, let me know. And if you don't end up needing the stock carb I left, We'll make arrangements to get it back to me.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Yeah - that was pretty cold!!! Things are still looking good for now except i haven't checked the battery.....but i will now. I learned so much about my engine just working with you and holding the flashlight! My husband is excited to install the new carb when he comes out next weekend so I'm set.

Let's meet in Feb. for a carb give-back night & have that drink we didn't have last time!!! (or burger if that's more your style) :D Invite other fiat junkies too if you want.
RoyBatty
Your car is a: 1975 124 Spider - 1971 124 Sport Coupe

Post by RoyBatty »

No rush on the return of the carb. Whenever youre ready.
I still think its in your best interest to have the car smogged with the OE carb after you do an ignition system tune up/ clean up.