83 Azzura - no parking lights-common issue?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
leftfield6

83 Azzura - no parking lights-common issue?

Post by leftfield6 »

I have a 1983 Pininfarina Azzura with a few electrical glitches, and I'd like some advice on troubleshooting.

The 83 has the different version of the "multi-switch" that mounts on the steering column. It controls the wipers, headlights, basically all the stalks coming off behind the steering column. It halso has the european parking switch mounted on top.

If I turn the headlight stalk "on" to either the parking position or the "full on" position, I get no parking lights or dash lights. My headlights work when in the "full on", but no other lights. All fuses are checked and fine.

I've checked all the plugs and connections where the switch plugs in, three plugs in all, and all are tight and clean.

So, this morning, a search on eBay turns up this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pininfar ... 27bc352e19

Notice in the description, the seller indicates it has the same exact problem I'm having.

Any other 83-85 owners out there had this problem? Fixed it? Do share!!

Advice from any electrical gurus wanted! Thanks!
124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Re: 83 Azzura - no parking lights-common issue?

Post by 124JOE »

does your hazzards work?they suply power to the turn signals on earlier models
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com
leftfield6

Post by leftfield6 »

Hazards work fine, as do the turn signals. The park lights and dash lights DO work with the euro parking circuit enabled, but since that self-cancels as soon as you turn the steering wheel, can't use that to function as a park light switch. :|

Part of the problem is that I don't have a wiring diagram for the 83 lights circuits. Completely different from the 82 and earlier, at least as far as the multi-switch goes.
124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Post by 124JOE »

:?: im lost
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com
leftfield6

Post by leftfield6 »

WYSpider wrote:Wiring Diagrams Manual
Outstanding find!! Thought I had searched all the online vendors, but I missed that one. Order has been placed. 8)
TXPinSpider

Post by TXPinSpider »

So leftfield6, did you find the problem and a solution? My 83 PinSpider just developed the same problem. About two weeks ago a noticed the lights would not work with the switch toggled to the left, only to the right. Now both sides are dead. Any help is appreciated.
leftfield6

Post by leftfield6 »

Well, it's kind of yes and no answer. I did get my lights working, but not in a real "I fixed it" way.

Here's what i did. After looking at the wiring diagrams, I hypothesized that the issue had to be in the euro parking rocker switch on top of the steering wheel. I pulled the steering wheel, and removed the multi-switch. I used my multi meter to check for continuity with the switch in different position, and determined that the switch wasn't functioning correctly. If I worked the switch back and forth, i would get intermittent 12V through the circuit.

I considered figuring out how to bypass the switch, and was starting to take it apart when I thought I would try to clean the contacts. There is really no easy way to take the switch apart, so I liberally sprayed the switch with contact cleaner from all angles, really got it in there.

So, it kinda worked. What I have now is one side of the switch working. If I have the switch pushed to the left, all of my lights work correctly. If I have the switch in the center or right position, no parking lights. So, I just keep it in the left most position. And keep my fingers crossed.
TXPinSpider

Post by TXPinSpider »

Very good thanks, I have almost the same situation. Parking lights work in center position, low beam and parking lighs with switch in right position and nothing to the left. In the right position low beam will fail to turn back on if switched to high beam, but rocking the switch will usually get it to turn on. I'll try the contact cleaner next and start a search for a replacement switch. Were you able to remove the switch, easily, or have you just left it in place?
ORFORD2004
Your car is a: 1983 PININFARINA

Post by ORFORD2004 »

I have one control unit for spare since i broke the wiper control arm.
leftfield6

Post by leftfield6 »

Ah yes, the broken wiper stalk. Mine has undergone major surgery to reattach it. I first did a little plastic welding, going as far as embedding some short pieces of threaded stock into the plastic in an attempt to strengthen the repair. Second step was a little JB Weld.

Meh.

It held together strong enough to do the up and down of the stalk that you need to turn on the wipers, but if I try to pull the stalk towards me to engage the washer pump, the repair begins to flex. It's a weak design.

As for the switch that causes the issues with the park lights, I never went as far as removing it from the multi-switch mechanism. You may be able to, it just looked too fiddly to mess with. I DID remove the multi-switch assembly from the steering column in order to work on it, but I don't think I want to tackle taking the actual switch apart. Seems like the kind of thing that will have multiple tiny springs that will fly out and never be found if disassembled.

One of these days I'm going to change to the "old" style of multi-switch. I have a brand new one sitting on my shelf, but I will need to re-pin all the wiring since the Pininfarina has different connector plug that the pre-83 models had.