getting started....

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
Danno

getting started....

Post by Danno »

OK, what do I need to start with to diagnose my '80's problems? Keep in mind that it has sat for 2-3 years without moving or running. I guess what I'm asking is run me through the basics so I can find the "real" problem....

I'm gonna start by:
1. getting as much of the old fuel out as possible
2. Draining and replacing the old oil and filter ( i might need help getting that!)
3. Changing plugs
4. Belt inspection/replacement
5. Coolant drain/refill
6. Plug wire check/replacement
7. Steering fluid (is it power steering even?) check
8. Brake Fluid check
9. Battery replacement (i'm sure it's bad by now)
10. tire check and air-up

11. Turn the key and see if it turns over at all? then repeat to get kinks worked out?
12. Report problems back here?

Am i missing anything between 10 and 11?

Brother in law was no help in finding out what the problem was when he took it to the mechanic. He mentioned something about a clogged cat, but i think that was fixed at some point. He mentioned overheating problems (he could have been thinking of the clogged cat overheating) so when I said "radiator" he said "yeah, maybe" and then he said something about needing a new carb. SOOOOOO, could be any one of or any combination of those things.....
Last edited by Danno on Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

I'd remove the spark plugs and add some atf into each cylinder, then turn the motor by hand at least a few rotations first. Changing all fluids and draining all of the old gas is mandatory. If the engine does run, inspect or replace the timing belt before you get too crazy with it.
Danno

Post by Danno »

So Cal Mark wrote:I'd remove the spark plugs and add some atf into each cylinder, then turn the motor by hand at least a few rotations first. Changing all fluids and draining all of the old gas is mandatory. If the engine does run, inspect or replace the timing belt before you get too crazy with it.
timing belt, gotchya. Didn't think of that. also, how about the transmission? or am I getting ahead of myself there? it's manual BTW.
bandit

Post by bandit »

The tranny oil can go for thousands of miles before changes but checking
it wouldn't hurt even a change if it has been years since it was done last
might not be a bad thing just remember to use none EP 90 it is hard to find Vickauto.com and IAP has it in stock .
Danno

Post by Danno »

i edited the above to say that I have a 1980 and not a 1981 spider.
fiater

Post by fiater »

my special sat for 7or 8 yrs. before I got it. I had a real problem with rust and a tar like substance in the gas tank. Both resulted in plugged fuel lines. I also had trouble with sludge in the oil pan, that plugged the oil strainer. good luck
Danno

Post by Danno »

fiater wrote:my special sat for 7or 8 yrs. before I got it. I had a real problem with rust and a tar like substance in the gas tank. Both resulted in plugged fuel lines. I also had trouble with sludge in the oil pan, that plugged the oil strainer. good luck
well, i'll do my best to siphon out the old fuel. I hope that mine isn't as bad as yours was!
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Post by mdrburchette »

Check the rubber donut at the driveshaft. I could pose a problem if it comes apart.