Trunk light assembly?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
dkphotog

Trunk light assembly?

Post by dkphotog »

Went to change the bulb on my trunk light and now I can't get it back together...it's a little bit different than anything I've seen. Anyone got pics or instructions?

Also - where is the best place or source for extra bulbs for this and other area of the car? Someday I won't have so many questions I hope! I'm on here like everyday!!! LOL
dmwhiteoak
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 spider

Re: Trunk light assembly?

Post by dmwhiteoak »

I have found that Advance Auto parts has all the bulbs and fuses for the Spider. Don't know if y'all have one in cal.
Dennis Modisette

1972 124 Spider
2003 Chevrolet Z71
2007 GMC Yucon
vandor
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider

Post by vandor »

>Went to change the bulb on my trunk light and now I can't get it back together...

You put the bulb in the hole, then slide that metal piece into the plastic housing. Then slide the metal backing plate on, and that will hold the bulb in.

>Also - where is the best place or source for extra bulbs for this and other area of the car?

Most of the bulbs you can buy at auto part stores, but they may not have the trunk bulb. If you can't find it let me know, I have a few new ones.
Csaba
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'17 124 Abarth, silver
http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/
Co-owner of the best dang Fiat parts place in town
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Post by manoa matt »

You may wonder why the light does not come on when you open the trunk. The running lights have to be on, as there is no switch on a 78. I think some of the early cars had a little switch that turned the light on.

You have to open the trunk, then put the key in the ignition and turn the electrical system on, then turn the light switch on to see the trunk light. If you try to turn the electrical system on then open the trunk, well then, the two keys need to be separate, or on separate key chains.
vandor
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider

Post by vandor »

manoa matt wrote:. I think some of the early cars had a little switch that turned the light on.
Yes, but they were still only on when the lights were on.
Csaba
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'17 124 Abarth, silver
http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/
Co-owner of the best dang Fiat parts place in town
dkphotog

Post by dkphotog »

manoa matt wrote:You may wonder why the light does not come on when you open the trunk. The running lights have to be on, as there is no switch on a 78. I think some of the early cars had a little switch that turned the light on.

You have to open the trunk, then put the key in the ignition and turn the electrical system on, then turn the light switch on to see the trunk light. If you try to turn the electrical system on then open the trunk, well then, the two keys need to be separate, or on separate key chains.
OMG - that is hilarious.....think I will actually leave that feature alone!!! You'd be better off sticking one of the battery operated pop up lights. :lol: :roll:

Thanks for the instructions!
boogiedude
Your car is a: 1978 spider 1800

Post by boogiedude »

manoa matt wrote:You may wonder why the light does not come on when you open the trunk. The running lights have to be on, as there is no switch on a 78. I think some of the early cars had a little switch that turned the light on.

If the trunk light is activated by the running lights being on, you don't need the key in the ignition. Just put the headlight selector on the center position, which runs power to the running lights regardless of the ignition being on.
baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Post by baltobernie »

dkphotog wrote:OMG - that is hilarious.....think I will actually leave that feature alone!!! You'd be better off sticking one of the battery operated pop up lights. :lol: :roll:
Bingo! See, you've already learned a lot ... what to keep, and what to "modernize"
dkphotog

Post by dkphotog »

baltobernie wrote:
dkphotog wrote:OMG - that is hilarious.....think I will actually leave that feature alone!!! You'd be better off sticking one of the battery operated pop up lights. :lol: :roll:
Bingo! See, you've already learned a lot ... what to keep, and what to "modernize"
TRUE THAT
DocGraphics
Your car is a: 1978 124 spider

Post by DocGraphics »

Or you could rewire the stock light to be hot all the time w/ a plunger switch when the trunk is opened or just a switch period.
Heck it's only inches from the battery.

I bought a second trunk light that I am going to install on the passenger side of the trunk to match the stock one & double my illumination.
Don Raugust
1978 Fiat 124 Spider "Fiona" - Burgundy/Tan
2011 pics: http://s918.photobucket.com/albums/ad22 ... 0Pictures/
2012 pics: http://s918.photobucket.com/albums/ad22 ... cs%202012/
Budduncan
Your car is a: 1971 Spider

Post by Budduncan »

By the way...the engine lights are the same deal. The running lights/headlights must be ON for either the trunk or engine lights to work. On my 71 both are actuated by push button switches that close when the hood or truck are opened. It is just so much fun to learn these nuances!
Cheers,
Bud