Two batteries dead within one month...HELP appreciated

Gotta love that wiring . . .
Fi8spider
Your car is a: 1974 Fiat 124 Spider

Re: Two batteries dead within one month...HELP appreciated

Post by Fi8spider »

majicwrench wrote:If you have a qualified, professional mechanic, there really is no need to give him ideas, OR to sound like you know what you are talking about. I listen politely to people tell me about their cars and what their uncle Joe thinks is wrong, and sometimes I get a tidbit of useful info, but most the time not. It is not the custormer's responsibity to know how it works or how to fix it, it is mine.
So why did you previously ask if the owner has a voltmeter?
124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Post by 124JOE »

dkphotog wrote:Just bought the 95 amp alternator - hope that is the problem & not wiring.....I figured that the upgrade was pretty exciting anyways and I've been wanting to do it. YAY :D
i realy hope tis dose it for you

you can take the old one in for testing
it might test ok but then warm up and stop charging
like one of my older cars did
best of luck
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

using a voltmeter is a reliable way to test a charging system, disconnecting cables is not
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Post by manoa matt »

The ethos of the Fiat electrical system... most problems are ground related.

I would replace the (-) ground cable at the battery before anything else. It's $6 at any auto parts store and can be installed with one bolt to the body and one clamp at the battery. You could use an adjustable wrench and be done in 10 min. If its not up your alley, pay the neighbor boy a few bucks to do it. While you have the cable off clean up the area where the cable mounts to the body with some sandpaper or steel wool.

Its cheap, quick, elimenates one/the major area of question, and probably should be done anyway given the cars age. I've done this to mine and other's Fiats, as inspection of that cable usually shows the green insulation pulls away from the crimp over time, also the wires become untwisted leading to reduced load capacity.

If the ground cable is faulty, the battery will not charge when the car is running, and the battery will discharge when not running.

Does/did the battery have a bunch of white crust, or wetness around the negative (-) terminal?
SergeantSavage

Post by SergeantSavage »

Hey dk, good luck on the upgrade. On the subject of voltmeters, I have one and know how to use it and I have found a new problem. My battery voltage is consistenly lower than the voltage I can measure at the back of the alternator. As in 12.4 at the battery engine off. 12.1 at the battery engine running. Seems like no charge, right? But the alternator shows 13.5. Time to look for bad grounds maybe..
dkphotog

Post by dkphotog »

manoa matt wrote:The ethos of the Fiat electrical system... most problems are ground related.

I would replace the (-) ground cable at the battery before anything else. It's $6 at any auto parts store and can be installed with one bolt to the body and one clamp at the battery. You could use an adjustable wrench and be done in 10 min. If its not up your alley, pay the neighbor boy a few bucks to do it. While you have the cable off clean up the area where the cable mounts to the body with some sandpaper or steel wool.

Its cheap, quick, elimenates one/the major area of question, and probably should be done anyway given the cars age. I've done this to mine and other's Fiats, as inspection of that cable usually shows the green insulation pulls away from the crimp over time, also the wires become untwisted leading to reduced load capacity.

If the ground cable is faulty, the battery will not charge when the car is running, and the battery will discharge when not running.

Does/did the battery have a bunch of white crust, or wetness around the negative (-) terminal?
This is quite helpful & I'm sure something I dare tackle myself. After all I did just paint my rims and add beauty rings - & swirl-x'd, waxed, and polished chrome. :)

No crust that I saw!
dkphotog

Post by dkphotog »

majicwrench wrote:If you have a qualified, professional mechanic, there really is no need to give him ideas, OR to sound like you know what you are talking about. I listen politely to people tell me about their cars and what their uncle Joe thinks is wrong, and sometimes I get a tidbit of useful info, but most the time not. It is not the custormer's responsibity to know how it works or how to fix it, it is mine.
Had my appendix out a few months ago, waited too long, but that is another story. But I sure didn't try to tell the doc what was wrong with me, that was his job. I just told him where it hurt :)
most cars I would agree with you, however I'm going to politely disagree with you on quirky fiats. I've had many, many cars both old and new and I've diagnosed problems on them that the mechanic overlooked. I'd rather have a little control over MY investments because most mechanics don't love your car the way you do.

As for health...sorry to hear about your appendix. :( I too think this is an area that you should know a lot about and I have also found issues with doctors diagnosis as well. My body is a valuable thing & so is my health and I definitely want a say in it. Then again - as you can see I don't mind being outspoken or truthful. :twisted:
majicwrench

Post by majicwrench »

I absolutely appreciate your "outspoken" comments, makes for a good discussion, and we are all entitled to our own opinions.
But, if you are diagnosing problems the mechanic missed....you need a diff mechanic.

Decades ago a man I worked for wrote an amazing article roughly about what we are discussing. About finding people we can trust with our lives, whether doctors, auto mechanics or nuclear engineers, and trusting them to do their job.

As for replacing the neg cable, I dislike changing things for no reason. If there is an issue with it, change it. If not, leave it. It is a simple cable, not rocket science, if there is something wrong with it you should be able to see it.
To each their own, however. YOur mileage may vary.
Let us know how the new alt works!
ORFORD2004
Your car is a: 1983 PININFARINA

Post by ORFORD2004 »

Samething happen to me when i bought the car next to IAP and driving back home.Leaving at 7, the car did exactely the same thing at 6 on the highway 91 in the middle of nowhere. I call 911 and they send me a towing to tow me in a Autozone parking a saturday morning. 300 miles from home :shock: The system was charging but very low. They recharge my battery and i bought the larger one that they got. I install the new one and took the road checking my GPS to see if i can do halfway with one battery. I was able to drive it home with one battery and i send my alternator for rebuilt. They change the brush as prevention only because they said that everything was OK. You know what, i think that my problem was loose connection of the ground on the body. Brush everything, applied dielectric grease and thight everything. Never have that problem again.
A good way to meet me and my Fiat 8)
maytag
Your car is a: 1976 124 spider

Post by maytag »

ORFORD2004 wrote:Samething happen to me when i bought the car next to IAP and driving back home.Leaving at 7, the car did exactely the same thing at 6 on the highway 91 in the middle of nowhere. I call 911 and they send me a towing to tow me in a Autozone parking a saturday morning. 300 miles from home :shock: The system was charging but very low. They recharge my battery and i bought the larger one that they got. I install the new one and took the road checking my GPS to see if i can do halfway with one battery. I was able to drive it home with one battery and i send my alternator for rebuilt. They change the brush as prevention only because they said that everything was OK. You know what, i think that my problem was loose connection of the ground on the body. Brush everything, applied dielectric grease and thight everything. Never have that problem again.
A good way to meet me and my Fiat 8)
You seriously called 911; cuz you had a dead battery?

you silly Canucks! :D
I'm no Boy-Racer..... but if I can't take every on-ramp at TWICE the posted limit.... I'm a total failure!
ORFORD2004
Your car is a: 1983 PININFARINA

Post by ORFORD2004 »

Who do you want to call???? Ghostbuster? :D
kolls
Your car is a: 1980 fiat spider

Post by kolls »

Would it not be easier to get a battery load tester and just test the charging system?
dkphotog

Post by dkphotog »

**Update** Just took the battery cover off and to my surprise - my NEW battery (2 weeks old) was completely leaking acid, spewing all over the battery compartment. Got to get to the bottom of this. Anyone experience this....it's like the car rejected it.....LOL......the exorcist!!! ha, ha!!!

Maybe I should call Ghostbusters.
jimincalif
Your car is a: 1980 FI Spider

Post by jimincalif »

Time for an exorcism...

Or maybe the voltage regulator is not regulating and overcharging the battery?
1980 FI Spider
WYSpider

Post by WYSpider »

Are you using a charger on the battery?