modern substitute for windshield wiper / flashers

Gotta love that wiring . . .
geert
Your car is a: 1977 1800spider

modern substitute for windshield wiper / flashers

Post by geert »

hallo,

are there modern substitutes for the

-windshield wiper intermittent switch (part nr 4177176)
-turn signal flasher ( part 4300635)
-hazard warning flasher ( part 4200679 ) ?

if so, any references ?

thanks, geert ( in preparation of a complete rewiring ( of the car :wink: )).
BEEK
Your car is a: 1975 Spider

Re: modern substitute for windshield wiper / flashers

Post by BEEK »

Flashers can be substituted with electronic units, as opposed to the bi-metallic units of yesteryear the switch is not the problem with the wipers, it is the motor itself. Fiats have 2 wiper speeds slow and slower, I usually retrofit a Japanese unit, they run much faster and have more torque.
Automotive Service Technology Instructor (34 year Fiat mechanic)
75 spider
, 6 Lancia Scorpions, 2018 Abarth Spider, 500X wifes, 500L 3 82 Zagatos. 82 spider 34k original miles, 83 pininfarina, 8 fiat spider parts cars
son has 78 spider
kmead
Your car is a: 1969 850 SC 1970 124 SC 85 X19

Post by kmead »

The motor is actually just fine, however if you use relays that take the load off of the switch and the ignition switch the wipers will be nice and quick. You don't even need to cut any wires, just add a few.

The OE parts and the wiring were all very good parts, time and corrosion often are the reasons for the problems along with the previous owners who "rewired" the cars. All of my cars have their original wiring that was never screwed with and everything works fine.
Karl

1969 Fiat 850 Sports Coupe
1970 Fiat 124 Sports Coupe
1985 Bertone X1/9
vandor
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider

Post by vandor »

>-windshield wiper intermittent switch (part nr 4177176)

These rarely go bad. Remember, if the wipers do not park correctly (go back to rest by themselves after you turned them off) the intermittent function can't work.

>-turn signal flasher ( part 4300635)

Yes, here:

http://www.autoricambi.us/cgi/commerce. ... =EL4-045-Z
Csaba
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'17 124 Abarth, silver
http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/
Co-owner of the best dang Fiat parts place in town
geert
Your car is a: 1977 1800spider

Post by geert »

thanks everybody for the information.

@ kmead : I do agree that the original wiring and parts are good. However on the75+ cars there is a lot of wiring considering the anti-pollution things.
On my 1978 car there is a lot of -now- useless wiring & parts ( ao passengerside ).
I have my black spider ( "Bianca" 8) ), already 15 years and the only electrical issue that i had was a fire due to a wire placed by the pervious owner ( it's always their fault ) : extra wire to rear fog light with no fuse whatsoever !
I placed relais (4) , extra wires and fuses for all the lights 14 years and 9 months ago ( after the fire) and things are working fine, but i need some space central in the dashboard ( to place a Halda tripmaster) and need to eliminate the reostat and replace the wiperspeedselector. As 2 of those relais are in the motorcompartiment, along with the extra fuses, and the original fusebox is not in great shape, and I would like to get rid of the extra wiring about those antipollution things, I was considering rewiring ( not 'rewiring' :) )

groeten, Geert.