CHMSL Retrofit

Gotta love that wiring . . .
opus10583
Your car is a: 1978 CS1

CHMSL Retrofit

Post by opus10583 »

Hi,

I've had a go at this in the General area, but maybe I can develop some traction here...

Living hear in the land of Lumbering Living Rooms, I think a CHMSL might be a great idea for my Spider.

Does anyone know of a pre-packaged wiring kit for a third brake light? Does anyone know of am existing wiring schematic for a third brake light?

...Anyone have any guidance for a car electrics neophyte?

I'm already acquiring bits for a red rear fog light, just because, and what I'd ultimately like to do is make it a Left Low Mounted Stop Light that can be switched full on for fog/rain or rural roads: Anyone have any thoughts about that?

Anyone have a fog light switch solution they'd care to share or brag on?

Thanks,
Mark
...Yes; I know what it means: Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino.

DOLCETTO: 1978 CS1; 10:1, DMS, 4-2-1...
ANDIAMMO: 2012 500 ABARTH

Acquista il Biglietto; Prendere la Gita! - Hunter S. Thompson
maytag
Your car is a: 1976 124 spider

Re: CHMSL Retrofit

Post by maytag »

you are jumping to a conclusion that the CHMSL actually works.

NHTSA seems to have backed waaaay off of their original claims on it. Last I knew, there were publishing a rather "iffy" statistic of something less than a 5% reduction in the likelihood of being rear-ended.
So to me... I don't see it being a good mod. But that's just me.

a switch and relay is easily set-up, and if you check ebay or google "custom tail=lights" there are lots and lots of options that could be mounted to the trunk-lid. But I'm cringing as I say it. :wink:
I'm no Boy-Racer..... but if I can't take every on-ramp at TWICE the posted limit.... I'm a total failure!
opus10583

Post by opus10583 »

maytag wrote:you are jumping to a conclusion that the CHMSL actually works.

NHTSA seems to have backed waaaay off of their original claims on it. Last I knew, there were publishing a rather "iffy" statistic of something less than a 5% reduction in the likelihood of being rear-ended.
So to me... I don't see it being a good mod. But that's just me.

a switch and relay is easily set-up, and if you check ebay or google "custom tail=lights" there are lots and lots of options that could be mounted to the trunk-lid. But I'm cringing as I say it. :wink:
Haven't seen the 5% analysis, conclusions based on public information...

Never considered an actual CHMSL, I'm mounting a red rear fog/rain light anyway, period style Hella, thought I might make it pay its way.

Love your sig, btw.

Thanks,
Mark

maytag
Your car is a: 1976 124 spider

Post by maytag »

I get it. I thought you were considering BOTH the CHMSL and a rear-low-mounted fog light.

I agree with you that the rear fog-light is not just period-correct, but very European, and would be at home on our cars. I still think it'd look like an after-thought on mine, but if yours is such that it is all period-correct, then go for it! 8)

If it were me, I would mount a switch way up under the dash where it wouldn't be seen but was easy to reach from the drivers' seated position. Wire it up with a relay. Pretty straightforward.
I'm no Boy-Racer..... but if I can't take every on-ramp at TWICE the posted limit.... I'm a total failure!
opus10583

Post by opus10583 »

maytag wrote:I get it. I thought you were considering BOTH the CHMSL and a rear-low-mounted fog light.

I agree with you that the rear fog-light is not just period-correct, but very European, and would be at home on our cars. I still think it'd look like an after-thought on mine, but if yours is such that it is all period-correct, then go for it! 8)

If it were me, I would mount a switch way up under the dash where it wouldn't be seen but was easy to reach from the drivers' seated position. Wire it up with a relay. Pretty straightforward.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a complete anorak, I just think the period correct RRFL fits in better than a modern LED piece. And where I'm going fog is a real concern.

Thought about something similar for the switch, seems a standard Spider headlight switch would do it, positioned outboard alongside...

Thanks,
Mark

seabeelt
Patron 2019
Patron 2019
Your car is a: Fiat Spider - 1971 BS1

Post by seabeelt »

Post som pics when you geterdone.
r
Michael and Deborah Williamson
1971 Spider -Tropie’ - w screaming IDFs
1971 Spider - Vesper -scrapped
1979 Spider - Seraphina - our son's car now sold
1972 Spider - Tortellini- our son's current
opus10583

Post by opus10583 »

Hi,

I finally got this wired up: Hella HL95217 light from Susquehanna, DPDT and Quick Disconnect Adapters from Radio Shack.

Does exactly what I want.

Took me two afternoons, because THE BRAKE LIGHTS SWITCH HOT SIDE ON MY CS1 IS SWITCHED ON THE IGNITION SWITCH!!!

I spent an afternoon trying to troubleshoot stupidity...

And, seriously: WTF??!!!

Ciao,
Mark

Pics in a week, it was too damned cold and too damned ridiculous.

geert
Your car is a: 1977 1800spider

Post by geert »

hallo,

if visibility in fog/heavy rain is your concern, why not wire the rear fog light as a real fog light, and not as an extra stop light ? ( as we do in Europe)
so your Fiat is more visible in fog all the time, not just when breaking.

Easy fit with extra fuse, extra switch+ light under the dash . To prevent leaving the fog light on best wired to get power only when the lights are on ( with a relais).

if you want more details/pics, give a sign.

groeten, Geert.
opus10583

Post by opus10583 »

Hi Geert,

Thanks!

It is wired to function as a third brake light when among the pinheads in their four-wheeled duplex media centers, or as a full-on rear fog light for comin' down the foggy mountains or riding the lonesome stretch of highway; there will be no heavy rain*.

It can also be switched fully off should it blow the brake lights fuse.

Ciao,
Mark

*Been there, done that, outgrew the t-shirt long ago: 8-hours driving a 124 Spider in a relentless blizzard from Boston to NY (~450km).

geert wrote:hallo,

if visibility in fog/heavy rain is your concern, why not wire the rear fog light as a real fog light, and not as an extra stop light ? ( as we do in Europe)
so your Fiat is more visible in fog all the time, not just when breaking.

Easy fit with extra fuse, extra switch+ light under the dash . To prevent leaving the fog light on best wired to get power only when the lights are on ( with a relais).

if you want more details/pics, give a sign.

groeten, Geert.

geert
Your car is a: 1977 1800spider

Post by geert »

opus10583 wrote:It can also be switched fully off should it blow the brake lights fuse.

Ciao,
Mark

*Been there, done that, outgrew the t-shirt long ago: 8-hours driving a 124 Spider in a relentless blizzard from Boston to NY (~450km).

good idea ! :idea: :idea: :idea: , but when it happens in that fog ...
or you could use a "off"-relais in parallel with the break light function (to switch the fog light off when braking) :idea: :idea:
( or homemade 2 bulbs in the same 'fog'-light ) :idea:

groeten, Geert.
Tobi

Post by Tobi »

I am not sure if I got the problem right but if it is about separating the power going into the light bulb a couple of blocking diodes should do the trick. They would turn your wires into a one way wire.
opus10583

Post by opus10583 »

Hi Geert,

Using these(http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2103503, two of the top one pictured) I pick-up the hot side of the brake switch and the switched side of the brake switch and feed both into the dpdt switch with the common pole feeding the light: The brakes fuse fuses the third light either way.

Thanks,
Mark

P1050826 by opus10583, on Flickr
geert wrote:
opus10583 wrote:It can also be switched fully off should it blow the brake lights fuse.
good idea ! :idea: :idea: :idea: , but when it happens in that fog ...
or you could use a "off"-relais in parallel with the break light function (to switch the fog light off when braking) :idea: :idea:
( or homemade 2 bulbs in the same 'fog'-light ) :idea:

groeten, Geert.