I broke it!

Gotta love that wiring . . .
christine13b

I broke it!

Post by christine13b »

Got my new "ignitor" in today from Auto Ricambi. Hook it up per the instructions, when to start the car and it made a grrr sound like the battery was dead, then I noticed the smoke from under the dash. :(. Disconnected it and started to try to figure out where I went wrong. Apparently the PO had the coil wired backwards. Awesome. So, I went through and replaced all the wires it melted... The blue and yellow at the ignition switch... Seemed to be the only one. I put my points back on as well as the condensers, tried to start it again... With everything hooked back up the way it was before I messed it up. Now it won't start at all. There's a funny clicking noise if I tap the gas while cranking, and something (I am guessing the fuel pump) is growling after it try to start it, for about 10 seconds and then there is a click and it stops. I tested the coil to see if it is putting out spark... It does for about 2 seconds and then nothing. What have I done?! What is that clicking when I press the gas? Is the coil fried? Shouldn't it be putting out spark the whole time I am cranking? Why would it stop? Please help. I'm lost, embarrassed, and a little bit hopeless.
dmwhiteoak
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 spider

Re: I broke it!

Post by dmwhiteoak »

I think I'll pass on this one. Sorry :? Joe?
Dennis Modisette

1972 124 Spider
2003 Chevrolet Z71
2007 GMC Yucon
124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Post by 124JOE »

make sure the points are opening fully
mine came with one set of points
one set is off set for early running

i had a strap run down the wire and ground it JUST LIKE YOU
i replaced the one wire and was fine "and removing the strap"

i belive you battery is low and needs 2 hours of charging before you try anything else

as for the unit try to smell it to see if its burnt out
it maybe fine
we all go thru hard times but we have to keep these cars driving

casba?
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com
vandor
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider

Post by vandor »

Check to see if you get +12V at the coil when cranking. If you have doubts about the wiring from the points to the coil then you can just connect one of the point leads directly to the coil. If all checks out but you still loose spark, then try to disconnect the tachometer wire from the negative side of the coil (you'd have the points connected there directly).
Csaba
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'17 124 Abarth, silver
http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/
Co-owner of the best dang Fiat parts place in town
christine13b

Post by christine13b »

Charged the battery... Tested the coil... Getting a little less than 12, but not much. The new igniter seemed fine, so I installed it... Corrected everything that was backwards on the coil, and now she fires! Running a little crappy, but running nonetheless. Everything is set on TDC. Put a new timing belt on as well. Not sure why I am still getting misfire. Ignition system seems good now. The carb is brand new. Argh
dmwhiteoak

Post by dmwhiteoak »

I went threw something simular and was chasing a misfire and every thing I did would mKe it run better but was still rough. I finally started back at the first thing I had replaced. Spark plugs. My#3 plug had no gap at all. Don't know what happened but corrected that and now smooth as silk. Just saying, look for simple things.
Dennis Modisette

1972 124 Spider
2003 Chevrolet Z71
2007 GMC Yucon
christine13b

Post by christine13b »

Just wanted to follow up with this. While the plugs were all still gapped correctly, etc... I changed them out for Champions. (Was running Autolite). What a world of difference! Great call on checking those plugs!
dmwhiteoak

Post by dmwhiteoak »

Glad we could help. Keep us updated.
Dennis Modisette

1972 124 Spider
2003 Chevrolet Z71
2007 GMC Yucon