82 Spider License Plate Light

Gotta love that wiring . . .
ylbill

82 Spider License Plate Light

Post by ylbill »

Don't know where to go from here. Changed out my license plate lights since I had the holders off for re-chroming. Never noticed if it worked prior to taking them off. Drivers side works fine, but nothing on passenger side. Put a tester on the connector and nothing. I know tracing electrical problems can be a nightmare, so any head start I can get would be appreciated.
82 Spider FI
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Re: 82 Spider License Plate Light

Post by rlux4 »

Have you downloaded Brad Artigue's wiring diagrams yet?
These are the clearest and easiest to read that I've found available, and they're in a format that will let you enlarge them to any size and still maintain clarity. I have my set copied from Kinkos at 14X18 and even an old guy like me can read them.
http://www.artigue.com/fiatcontent/wiri ... 0_1982.pdf
Page 3 will show you that each lic. plate light is supplied power through a yellow wire from it's respective side's tail light board. You should also check that the ground wires to each are making solid contact.
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.
ylbill

Post by ylbill »

rlux4 wrote:Have you downloaded Brad Artigue's wiring diagrams yet?
These are the clearest and easiest to read that I've found available, and they're in a format that will let you enlarge them to any size and still maintain clarity. I have my set copied from Kinkos at 14X18 and even an old guy like me can read them.
http://www.artigue.com/fiatcontent/wiri ... 0_1982.pdf
Page 3 will show you that each lic. plate light is supplied power through a yellow wire from it's respective side's tail light board. You should also check that the ground wires to each are making solid contact.
Ron
Thanks Ron, this should help a lot! I do know that the left wire is yellow, but the right is red and black or gray, so not sure why the difference?
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Post by rlux4 »

The different color could be one of two things; a PO changed it, or (which is not unusual) the factory grabbed whatever was available when the yellow wire spool got empty. :lol:
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.