No power to injectors

Gotta love that wiring . . .
nadman009

No power to injectors

Post by nadman009 »

I'm trying to get my 82 FI to run...It runs for half a second when i pour gas in the intake, so I believe its a gas issue.
This car has been parked in a barn...(next to a river, which floods occasionally) for 18 years. I know this thing has seen water up to ECU level, so that makes things tricky.

New battery, newly cleaned starter(that was fun :( ) and when i turn the key the engine spins but no gas. Fuel pump works, new fuel filter, new gas, gas in fuel rail. I checked the injector cable for pulse - nothing. Both injector grounds are hooked up. I grounded the ECU with the one-bolt clip thing, but is that enough? I feel like somethings not grounded but I'm puzzled. Any help would be great. Oh and I pulled the double relay(i think) and I'll probably replace that.

btw- dumb question but my spark wires were hooked up (1 2 4 3) starting with the closest plug, looking at the engine from the front of the car. Is this right? Or are they suppose to go 1234? I've spent 2 months just getting leaves, dirt, and crud out of the floor pan holes and pulling/cleaning the starter so I'm moving on to more important stuff.
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Re: No power to injectors

Post by rlux4 »

The ground for the ECU comes in through the pigtail, the body just sits in the saddle. It does sound like your ECU isn't working, and the best way to quickly check this would be to replace it with a known good one. On the other hand, having been exposed to so much water over the years it may very well be a corrosion of wiring or ground isssue. Where do you live? With any luck there's someone near you who has one to lend you for the test. Also, here's a good diagnostic to check the FI electronics:
http://www.wcmotors.com/personal/Fiat%2 ... agnostics/
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.
124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Post by 124JOE »

fireing order 1342
start at the cap find #1 my cap is numbered
and check you cold start valve,it gives the first squert of gas
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com
nadman009

Post by nadman009 »

Thanks for the responses!
I bought a used ECU off ebay which is what I've been using. From what I've gathered, the positive power to the injectors comes from the double relay(shared with fuel pump) which is triggered by the ignition switch. The pulsing ground is from the ECU, but does that go through the double relay as well? I did some diagnostics and I'm pretty sure the relay is bad, but $70 when I'm not sure its the problem kinda stinks. How do I know if the ignition switch or something else is failing?

And I'll be sure to fix my spark wires, 1 3 4 2 makes more sense than 1243, my cap is labeled as well but it was which number spark went to which cylinder that got me confused.
nadman009

Post by nadman009 »

Would this have something to do with it? There is a male and a female connector coming off the ECU connector, are they suppose to be hooked up somewhere?

http://s849.photobucket.com/albums/ab51 ... 57_612.jpg
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022

Post by rlux4 »

On mine those are connected to each other. BTW, regarding the ECU ground; the nut on the front tab of it has never been a tight ECU case to body fit on mine, so I've always assumed it's not a grounding point because my car's FI works very well. As a matter of fact, I've run the car with the ECU dangling during diagnosis sessions. In Brad Artigue's wiring diagrams
(http://www.artigue.com/fiatcontent/wiri ... 0_1982.pdf) pins 16 & 17 go to ground.
Your dual relay supplies the power to the injectors, the ECU controls the ground.
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
Cal124turbo81

Post by Cal124turbo81 »

Hello Nadman009, I am having similar issues as yours. I changed the double relay and still no power to injectors. Now, I think I need to swap the ECU. Were you able to fix yours? If so, what was the problem?
THanks!
Adolfo
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

power to the injectors is from the dual relay, not the ecu. If you truly don't have power to the injectors, make sure you have power to the dual relay first
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022

Post by rlux4 »

You verified what I said Mark, so I must have been right. LOL
Here's a diagnostic to test the functions of the dual relay. Follow it step by step and it should tell you if your dual relay is working as it should.
http://www.wcmotors.com/personal/Fiat%2 ... agnostics/
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com