Ignition Switch Repllacement-help!

Gotta love that wiring . . .
skykng
Your car is a: 1982 Fiat 2000 Spyder

Ignition Switch Repllacement-help!

Post by skykng »

How do you get the old ignition switch out???? The book I have (chilton's) says to lower the steering mounting on the bottom of the dash - done but maybe unnecessary. I have removed the two phillips head screws but it won't move out more than 1/4 inch. I tried turning the key to release the steering wheel lock, no joy. I tried a small screwdriver in the small oval slot in the middle of the mounting-while using a large screwdriver to pry it out, no joy. Amazing @#$%^ design.
Help?? please............thanks, Steve 1982 Spider
124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Re: Ignition Switch Repllacement-help!

Post by 124JOE »

i was tolled to put the key in the mar position and push the button in the oval hole.then pull the key.
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com
skykng
Your car is a: 1982 Fiat 2000 Spyder

Re: Ignition Switch Replacement-help!

Post by skykng »

Thanks Joe!! On mine, the MAR position lets the key pull right out of the switch, but the body came forward another quarter inch, so by using the small screwdriver to push in on the brass cross thing, and wiggling and holding the tab away from the steering column, it came out. Mounted the new switch and all is well. Thanks for the steer -- next one will be easy.
best, Steve :D
PS: You DO NOT have to drop the steering unit from the bottom of the dash to change the ignition switch. Loosening the two allen head bolts that are quite long, will give you some room if you need it......My new switch came with the yellow push on terminal connectors that slide onto the tabs on the switch after you crimp the wires into them. I didn't use them. I soldered the wires onto the tabs on the switch because I hate troubleshooting loose/intermittent connections. Thanks again for your reply.