Convert points to electronic?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
divinabuddy

Re: Convert points to electronic?

Post by divinabuddy »

Has anyone installed "The Ignitor". Sounds like an affordable upgrade with no changes to the original look.
divinabuddy

Post by divinabuddy »

divinabuddy wrote:Has anyone installed "The Ignitor". Sounds like an affordable upgrade with no changes to the original look.
Well, I got "The Ignitor" today from autoricambi and what a difference. Start's right up, no misses and smooth reving to the redline. I did not expect it would work that well. No adjustments. Just out with the points and in the new stuff. And with the very old looking coil. I was thinking about getting a new one but I doubt now it will bring any improvement and will leave it as it is for now.
blurple124
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by blurple124 »

Wow, really? The conversion kit they sell for $89? I saw that and was going to go for it, but I thought, "nah, its too good to be true, they must not be selling the whole kit!"

But you say it works great? How involved is the installation? Or how good are the instructions?
Charlie
1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800 - Antonia
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport
divinabuddy

Post by divinabuddy »

Inside of 15 minutes. The instructions are ok. I also used a new distributed cap and spark plug wires.
blurple124

Post by blurple124 »

Well, I know what I'm getting for Christmas! :D
Charlie
baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Post by baltobernie »

I'm running it with the blue Bosch coil, standard cap, rotor and spark plug wires. I measured ≈40kV at the plugs (14mm jump).

I'm running right on the jagged edge with ignition timing at 8°. I like this setup, because there are no points to wear and change timing.
blurple124

Post by blurple124 »

baltobernie wrote:I'm running right on the jagged edge with ignition timing at 8°.
Wow, 8 degrees? You have a '73, am I right? So do you have a 1592cc or a 1608cc? Either way, factory spec is 0 degrees advance, I believe. That is impressive! And you've had no issues?

Mine is a '78, so spec is 10 degrees. I've heard of people running 12, but I'm not sure what the "jagged edge" would be for an 1800....any thoughts?
Charlie
MrWampus
Your car is a: 1981 Spider

Post by MrWampus »

I learn so much just from lurking in the shadows on this forum. I am not a mechanic by any stretch of imagination. I can do really basic stuff like change out parts etc. It is great to read through and get an understanding of how all this stuff works so at the very least I won't have a mechanic try to sell me "muffler bearings." (love that term!)

I am a process engineer by profession (six sigma master black belt if that means anything to anyone) I love charts and graphs and I now have a better understanding of how my engine gets its spark and keeps time with the revs. Thanks for the knowledge!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1981 Spider "The Mistress"
http://s1088.photobucket.com/albums/i329/mrwampus1/
"Because a 30-year-old sports car is cheaper than a 30-year-old blonde."
baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Post by baltobernie »

My engine is a highly-modified 1800. Details are in a thread titled "New Head".

Here's an interesting article on ignition timing: http://www.gofastforless.com/ignition/advance.htm I'm not a mechanic either, but I've come to appreciate the challenges engine designers faced back in the days of carburetors, mechanical distributors, and early emissions controls. And every time I drive a modern car, even my cheap Corolla, following a drive in the Spider, I'm astonished at the progress in automotive engineering.