95 amp alternators

Gotta love that wiring . . .
So Cal Mark

95 amp alternators

Post by So Cal Mark »

I now have brand new (not rebuilt) 95 amp alternator conversions that will fit Spiders. If that's not enough to run all of your electrics, 130amp units are coming. It's a very simple conversion, both installation and connections. This will cure your slow wipers, slow power windows, etc. I'll have them up on my website within a couple of days

NJFIAT1981
Your car is a: 1970 SPIDER AND A 1976 SPIDER

Re: 95 amp alternators

Post by NJFIAT1981 »

Hi Mark,
How much will they be?
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

the 95 amp will be $175, I don't have a firm price on the 130amp yet
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

If you're thinking of doing the brown wire fix - is it better/easier to go this route or should I still do the brown wire fix?

I have dim headlights, slow wipers, power windows aren't very powerful......
donerehart
Your car is a: 1976 spider

Post by donerehart »

I was wondering the same thing... Mark, are there any issues that need to be addressed in addition to adding the 95 amp alternator? Wiring? Mounts, etc?
Thanks!
Don
76 Spider
St. Louis, MO
vandor
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider

Post by vandor »

The brown wire fix helps carry current from the alternator to the ignition switch, so it's always a good idea, regardless of the alternator.
Csaba
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'17 124 Abarth, silver
http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/
Co-owner of the best dang Fiat parts place in town
124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Post by 124JOE »

the 95 will help in so many ways
better headlights
brighter guages
all around good voltage
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com
georgeramos
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider 1608

Post by georgeramos »

Will this work for a '71? is it still a simple swap?

thanks

George
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

yes, it's pretty easy but the early cars do require bypassing the regulator and charge light relays
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

So, the best advice would be to pruchase the 95 amp alternator and do the brown wire fix.

Cool beans - it'll give me something to do on a snow day.
Turbofiat124
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000 turbo

Post by Turbofiat124 »

So Cal Mark wrote:I now have brand new (not rebuilt) 95 amp alternator conversions that will fit Spiders. If that's not enough to run all of your electrics, 130amp units are coming. It's a very simple conversion, both installation and connections. This will cure your slow wipers, slow power windows, etc. I'll have them up on my website within a couple of days

I notice this is a passenger side mount. Any chance this would fit the driver's side on the oil filter housing on a 2 liter fuel injected?
124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Post by 124JOE »

yes but we move them to the pass side to free up some room on the dr side
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com
Damini

Post by Damini »

If you want one with an aluminum pulley, you can get one at Auto Ricambi too. :P
http://www.autoricambi.us/cgi/commerce. ... =EL1-495-Z
baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Post by baltobernie »

I hate to throw cold water on this topic, but a Spider could have Three Mile Island bubbling under the bonnet, but without good switches and wiring, the lights would still be dim, the wipers slow, etc.

Spiders without audio amplifiers or extra lights work just fine with 55 or 65A alternators. I have one in mine, and the turn signals are crisp, the wipers quick and all the interior and exterior lights very bright, even at idle. I've had club members approach me after a ride commenting on how bright the rear lamps appear.
kmead
Your car is a: 1969 850 SC 1970 124 SC 85 X19

Post by kmead »

baltobernie wrote:I hate to throw cold water on this topic, but a Spider could have Three Mile Island bubbling under the bonnet, but without good switches and wiring, the lights would still be dim, the wipers slow, etc.
I strongly agree. Upgrading the alternator is a great way to get more power into the system but with poor grounds, degraded feeds and other issues the system is not necessarily going to perform better.

Keep in mind turning a 95amp unit will require more effort (ie more horsepower).

As Bernie alludes, the first step is cleaning up the existing wiring which means cleaning contacts, ground clusters and making a few upgrades to the system which can improve the existing current flow in the system. The brown wire modification, a load reduction relay to take the load off the the ignition switch, a modern flasher relay and some other judicious mods (headlight relays, wiper relays) and the existing system should work very well.

Having more amperage will help but it won't cure all of the ills.
Karl

1969 Fiat 850 Sports Coupe
1970 Fiat 124 Sports Coupe
1985 Bertone X1/9