Second Ground Strap location?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
Spiderinmlnj

Second Ground Strap location?

Post by Spiderinmlnj »

So looks like I need a new ground strap on my car.
There is one ground wire that is running from back passenger side of block to side wall by the ignition coil not sure if this is the original and or main ground strap but the connector on block looks like it might be challengin to get off.

As such I'm wondering where is the (or even a) recommended point for attaching an additional ground strap?

Thanks
124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Re: Second Ground Strap location?

Post by 124JOE »

they put them there and on the other side tranz right by the starter mine has 12 inches of wire to the bodys frame rail
and i put on another buy the alt to the body

just make sure it a good connetion
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com
vandor
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider

Post by vandor »

I usually put it on the passenger side. On the engine I attach it under the engine mount bracket to block bolt. On the body side there are several possibilities depending on year. 1973 and earlier has the battery there, so there is a good ground post.
On later cars there are any number of studs for attaching emissions hardware, the coil, the ground connector, or one could even go under the idle arm bolt.
Csaba
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'17 124 Abarth, silver
http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/
Co-owner of the best dang Fiat parts place in town
124JOE

Post by 124JOE »

if your ends are crappy
you can take them to a sterio shop and have the ends redone
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
whiterabbit

Post by whiterabbit »

They can make you up some with gold plated terminals too! PIMP! :)
bjbrown
Your car is a: 1980 fiat spider 2000

Post by bjbrown »

So, where were the original ground strap(s) on the fuel injected cars? I have a 1980 spider 2000 FI and have a grounding stud on the body below the firewall on the driver side (at the beginning of the trans tunnel). Looks like it was a cable end welded directly to the body, but the cable broke off. Is this an original location? Were there other ground straps at the rear of the cam covers? If so, where did they attach at both ends?
Boise, Idaho
1980 Spider 2000 EFI
1972 Sport Spider 850
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

I believe the original engine ground on the FI cars was from the starter lower bolt to the drivers floor. As you stated it was welded to the floor.
You might be able to make a new ground cable, it should be at least a #8 wire, and connect with a steering box mounting bolt to the body.

The grounds on the cam covers are for the fuel injection system and not really for the starting/charging systems of the car. The engine needs a good clean solid ground back to the battery for everything to work properly. so the point on the body you attach it is important.

There have been a few posts about a broken engine ground causing premature clutch cable failures becaue the starter current passes through the clutch cable if the ground strap breaks
124JOE

Post by 124JOE »

thats why they put them very close to the starter
zachmac
Your car is a: 1978 Spider [1979 2 ltr engine]

Post by zachmac »

I added a second strap to mine from the passenger side lower block alternator bracket stud (not used on mine but there from early cars and cars with AC compressor where your alternator most likley is now) over to the frame rail. Just went to advance auto and found one of about the right length with two eyelets. It never hurts to be well grounded! :D

BTW, a FI car should also have a silly little groung wire from the back of the passenger side cam cover to the firewall. One of those exposed braided cable ones (and two more like it from the hood to the radiator support spar). Also make sure you injector grounds on the driver side cam cover are clean and tight.
Jeff Klein, Aiken, SC
1980 FI Spider, Veridian with Tan (sold about a year ago), in the market for another project
1989 Spider, sold
2008 Mercedes SL65
2008 S600 Mercedes V12