shout out to Mark

Gotta love that wiring . . .
minimike
Your car is a: 1979 124 spyder

shout out to Mark

Post by minimike »

A week ago, I drove my 79 124 into the garage. I was dealing with inner hammer on wheel weights hitting the upper A
arms. I hardly drove the car all summer because I didn't know what was causing the clicking sound.(see wheels and tires)

After I installed the wheel spacers in the front and longer bolts, I thought I'd take a test drive. I had installed an electric fuel
pump. I turned the key, dash lights went on, pump clicked and pumped which I let run for a short bit before cranking. It always fires right up.

This time nothing . Long story short. After trying many things myself, I ran Mark at his shop. He told me to check the red wire
at it's bullet connector near the back of the altenator. also the heavy brown for power.
This didn't help, but THANK YOU TO MARK for taking time from his shop work to help me diagnose the problem.

While I was checking wires for corrosion, continuity, etc, I put my hand on the fan belt and noticed it was a bit loose. Mental note to myself to tighten this after I get the car to crank. After checking all the wiring, I decided to put on the headlights. No lights!! (loose belt, no lights= weak battery) So I put the charger to the battery and set it for 2 hours. While charging, I tried
to crank the car. Of course it cranked fine.

Moral here: Start with the simple stuff. and by that, I mean the real simple stuff.

Mark, thanks again.