new gremlin - odd to say the least

Gotta love that wiring . . .
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

new gremlin - odd to say the least

Post by TX82FIAT »

Folks, have an upcoming ride this weekend in the Texas Hill country and had the car out for some spirited driving when it started to get dark. Well... Strange thing, interior lights work including headlight indicator. However, no high or even low beams. I drove the car last weekend and both headlights worked great. Nice and bright. Drove straight home and began to tinker. All fuses fine, Ground pods cleaned and tight, Alternator and battery working fine with proper volts. Everything else works like a charm even the winsheild wipers have good motion! Looked up the wiring diagram for the headlights and the only common point i can think of is the replacement column switch I installed about a years ago to fix a horn and turn signal issue. Turn signals/horn/brakes are all fine as well. Does not look like a relay issue to me based on the diagram.

Tonight I'm going to get into the column and the dash toggle switch and see if it is indeed a switch. Any thought or suggestions on where else i should look? Five days to fix? :?
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Re: new gremlin - odd to say the least

Post by 124JOE »

the plug at the bottom of the steeirng colum
unplug and replug it
and double check you grounds
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com
vandor
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider

Post by vandor »

Use the wiring diagram and work you way back from the headlights through the connections, fusebox, and switches, until you find voltage. There should be no relays from the factory, but it's a good idea to add some.

See you this weekend!
Csaba
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'17 124 Abarth, silver
http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/
Co-owner of the best dang Fiat parts place in town
azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Post by azruss »

I would start with the basics. check to make sure the headlights arent burnt out. "Nice and bright" can lead to premature failure. easy test is if you have a meter, check the headlight plug for 12v.
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Post by TX82FIAT »

Got it!!! Thanks for all your help. I started at the headlights and worked my way back. Not exactly what i thought but 124Joe was on the money. The plastic connection point just behind the steering column was the culprit. One of the connectors was bent and a little corroded. Very odd place for corrosion given the good overall condition of other electrical components in the car. I must have missed this connection when redoing the wiring harness and cleaning all connections last year. A little straightening, cleaning and a dab of dialictric grease and were are good. "A little dab will do ya". :wink:
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Post by 124JOE »

thats great im glad its working
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com