Oil Pressure Light

Gotta love that wiring . . .
johnssi

Oil Pressure Light

Post by johnssi »

Hi guys, You might remember seeing the photos I posted of the new dash I just finished using the old Rolls Royce walnut veneer. Well when I did that work I added a new Oil Pressure gauge to the dash, keeping the orginal idiot light hooked up as well. It had been working fine but my wife I took our first real road trip up to the mountains in NC and the car ran just great! But on our first day there the idiot light comes on indicating low oil pressure. The gauge says perfect pressure though. I shut down the car and checked the oil level - good. Water temp fine. Finally called a friend, the guy stared out as a Fiat dealer in '57! He said "the gauge is gospel, you're getting a bad signal". I just loved his next comment "drive on with zest and gusto"! So here is the question - bad sender or short? Is there any way to test the sender? I don't think the work I did on the dash is related cause it was working fine but I guess it could be a short. Any ideas?
John
mik
Your car is a: 1969 124 Spider Convertible

Re: Oil Pressure Light

Post by mik »

Remove the wire from the oil sensor unit and ground it. Turn the key on. If the needle jumps all the way to highest reading it is the oil sensor unit. Easy to replace.
johnssi

Post by johnssi »

Hi Mik, let me make sure I understand, the needle on the GAUGE will go all the way up?
mik
Your car is a: 1969 124 Spider Convertible

Post by mik »

It should jump all the way to the right.
johnssi

Post by johnssi »

So here's what I did. Disconnected the Oil Pressure sender wire for the idiot light and grounded it. Oil Pressure gauge did not swing all the way to the right, it did nothing. I look at the idiot light and it's out! Reconnected the idiot light wire to the oil filter housing mounted sender and the light remains out. Go figure??!! Oh well - all's well that ends well. Thanks for the suggestion.
John