3 way fan switch on center console

Gotta love that wiring . . .
mik
Your car is a: 1969 124 Spider Convertible

Re: 3 way fan switch on center console

Post by mik »

Touching red connector to yellow connector, low fan starts, touching yellow connector to blue connector high fan starts. It must be the switch. Took it apart, didn't see any major problem, ie corrosion. Am I going the right direction. Thanks, Mik
dmwhiteoak
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 spider

Post by dmwhiteoak »

yes you are in the ballpark. If the contacts on bottom are not shinny,shine them up.It does not take much to foil the contact. That is a very simple switch and unless something is broke inside you can fix it. turn it upside down and take the metal rocking part out and shine it up.Along with the 3 tabs inside. should work like new. Dennis
Dennis Modisette

1972 124 Spider
2003 Chevrolet Z71
2007 GMC Yucon
redek

Post by redek »

Use a little dielectric grease to protect the contacts from corrosion.
mik

Post by mik »

Am I suppose to be able to remove the brass rocker at the bottom inside of the switch? Don't want to damage anything and want to know that I can get it back in after I get it cleaned. thanks for the help, Mik
dmwhiteoak

Post by dmwhiteoak »

The little metal rocker will pop right out. Mine actually fell out when I turned it upside down. Don't worry about tearing it up. Look at it this way, if you did not try to fix it you would be buying another switch anyway. Dennis
Dennis Modisette

1972 124 Spider
2003 Chevrolet Z71
2007 GMC Yucon
mik

Post by mik »

Thanks for hanging in there with me. I left the brass toggle in, afraid of breaking the switch, cleaned as best I could. Also bent up one side of the toggle, thinking it may make better connection. Put the switch back in and the high fan works consistently. Still can't get the low fan going. I will remove the switch again and bend that side of the toggle up a bit to see if it will kick in. Thanks again for all the help. Mik
Budduncan
Your car is a: 1971 Spider

Post by Budduncan »

Hi Guys;
I think you may find the fan motor fried. Good news is that is it not too difficult to replace. The usual learning curve...do everything 3 times because of some detail. Since I have been into my fan motor a number of times on my 71 if you need hints I can review. I noted that my replacement fan unit from Vicks was only one speed even though it was wired for 2. The switch on the center console connects one hot power to one leg of the motor and the other way to the other leg and their should be some resistance such that you get two speeds. I could only get two speeds by adding some resistance but decided not to, because I don't drive it in crummy weather anyway (Seattle..so it is in the garage most of the time). The motor will come with a red, blue and black wire. The black ties to ground and the other two are the two wires coming from your referenced switch at the console.
Cheers,
Bud
dmwhiteoak

Post by dmwhiteoak »

Im not thinking there is a motor problem. Have not seen any sign of it. Mik , It will not hurt to pull the rocker contact from the bottom of the switch. I would not bend nothing just clean it . If you want to skype I will walk you through it. Dennis
Dennis Modisette

1972 124 Spider
2003 Chevrolet Z71
2007 GMC Yucon