3 way fan switch on center console

Gotta love that wiring . . .
mik
Your car is a: 1969 124 Spider Convertible

3 way fan switch on center console

Post by mik »

No reaction from the fan switch. New fuse. Looked at the wiring diagram to see that I had the 3 wires on correctly. When I am facing the front of the car, red is on the left, yellow is in the middle and blue is on the right. Is that correct? Thanks. If that is correct, what could be the issue? Mik
124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Re: 3 way fan switch on center console

Post by 124JOE »

do you have power at any of them with the key on?
you can send power directly to the two wires going out to see if it runs,
if it wont then its the ground
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com
mik

Post by mik »

How do I test them? When I was pulling out the toggle, there were some sparks, blew the fuse. Replaced the fuse, that's how I got into this mess anyway. Thanks for the response,mik
124JOE

Post by 124JOE »

i have a power tester its an LED red/green=pos/neg
another way is to wire up a lightbulb ground one end and poke around with the other end
if it comes on it has power. if it dont then you can switch to one that dose have power and see if the others are a ground as that woud be a short.so if any of the three are a ground you will need a fan motor.
i think the middle one gives power the one on the drivers side is low and the pass side is high
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
thefiatek

Post by thefiatek »

Could i recommend a $2 test light for this operation?
mik

Post by mik »

have one, used it to test my parking lights for power. Thanks for all the help, mik
vandor
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider

Post by vandor »

Yellow is the one that should bring power. Test it, I bet it's dead. Look at the wiring diagram on Brad's site and trace the wire, see where it goes, and test for power there. Do this until you find the fault, a break in the wire, loose connection or fuse.
Csaba
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'17 124 Abarth, silver
http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/
Co-owner of the best dang Fiat parts place in town
mik

Post by mik »

should these wires be in a certain position, red on the left yellow in the middle and blue on the right? Thanks
124JOE

Post by 124JOE »

the power feed should go in the middle
the low fan speed should be on the left
and the high speed on the right
mik

Post by mik »

Thanks, I will tackle today. I appreciate it. As always, help is just around the corner on this forum. Mik
Wheel
Your car is a: 1982 Fiat Spider

Post by Wheel »

When I rebuilt my gearshift assembly yesterday I took this photo. This switch has a red and a blue locator dot. The car is a 1982 Spider 2000.

1982 Fiat Spider
dmwhiteoak
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 spider

Post by dmwhiteoak »

I just finished repairing my fan switch this morning. I was getting no action from the switch so I pulled it out.I tested yellow wire and had voltage so I jumpered to the blue and then to the red. The fan worked great. I sat in my recliner and spent some much needed time with my little wife and disassembled the switch. The contacts on bottom were corroded so I cleaned them well with emory cloth and now it works great. Headed back out to the shop now to put it back. Thats one great thing about this forum, It reminds us of what we need to fix. Dennis
Dennis Modisette

1972 124 Spider
2003 Chevrolet Z71
2007 GMC Yucon
mik

Post by mik »

Great photo, big help. I tested the yellow and there is plenty of power. Of course got no reaction from the red or blue. I will check the switch contacts, they seemed fine and may have to buy another switch. What did you mean jumpered to the blue and then the red? Thanks again Dennis. Mik
mik

Post by mik »

Cleaned up contacts. Hooked back up and turned on high fan, it worked, shut off and I couldn't get it to start again. Checked fuse and that is ok. Could it be a short somewhere along the line? Thanks, Mik
dmwhiteoak
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 spider

Post by dmwhiteoak »

Inside the switch is a contact bar that pivits from one side to the other. You can test this switch with a multi meter . Put it on the olms setting and you can check the continuity between the center post on the bottom of the switch and the other two.If the switch is pushed to the left,check the continuity between the middle post and the post on the right. that is how the switch works.It sounds like to me your switch is not making good contact on the inside.Real easy to fix yourself without buying a new one. took me 10 min and had mine working like new. apply a litte outward pressure and pop out the pivit part of the swich and the rest is self explanitory. Dennis

BTW you can jumper the contacts by stripping both ends a litte on a piece of wire and touching one end to the yellow wire and the other to the blue . fan should run,do the same to the yellow wire and the red and the fan will run a little slower. Red low speed, blue high speed. easy
Dennis Modisette

1972 124 Spider
2003 Chevrolet Z71
2007 GMC Yucon