No Voltage to the fuel pump...

Gotta love that wiring . . .
HAWKER
Your car is a: 1982 FIAT SPIDER 2000

No Voltage to the fuel pump...

Post by HAWKER »

She started but quickly shut down. I did drop the mount for the control relay set to replace the heater core but the car started and ran fine after I put it all back together. I have checked and I have no voltage to the fuel pump with the ign. on and the AFM open. I am chasing wires now, I suspect the control relay set but I hate to buy another part for the pile if that is not it. I have a Bosch Fuel injector Trouble shoot manual and I am in deep .... too deep. Every once in a while the car will do nothing when the ign is rotated. I try again and it worked. This has happened a few times and I fear that the infamous ignition switch may be going south. Any Ideas for Mr Maxed out on frustration.
So Cal Mark

Re: No Voltage to the fuel pump...

Post by So Cal Mark »

since you have the FI book, have you checked voltage into the relay? How about at the pump switch in the AFM?
vandor
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider

Post by vandor »

Here is an article about rebuilding the ignition switch:

http://mirafiori.com/faq/content/switch/index.html

Also don't forget to check the fuel pump fuse in the separate fuse holder behind the fusebox.
Even if it is not blown, the contacts could have corroded.
Csaba
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'17 124 Abarth, silver
http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/
Co-owner of the best dang Fiat parts place in town
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Post by rlux4 »

I've seen quite a few cases where no power to the fuel pump was attributed to a bad dual relay and it turned out to be something else. As Csaba suggests, an intermittent loss of power to the fuel pump often is a bad connection through the inline fuse on the line going to the dual relay. It's on a brown with white stripe wire located behind the main fuse panel. The other usual culprit on an intermittent problem is the ignition switch. While you're checking that the dual relay is funcioning properly, and your test light is on the line being testest, wiggle the key, see if power is interrupted.
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.
HAWKER
Your car is a: 1982 FIAT SPIDER 2000

Post by HAWKER »

Well, She finally started after I tested,shook, traced, reseated and cleaned all the fuses. Success seemed to coincide with the cleaning and reseting of the three small relays in front of the common relay under the glov e box "82 Pinninfarina". I cleaned the prongs with sandpaper and put some electircal enhancer gel on the prongs. I was ready to pop for a new combo relay but all the test light test were fine. The pump would come on if you jumped the relay from brown to green and white. Lot of options, I sort of feel lucky and leary of things to come because I cannot feel confident about a specific fix.
Hawker
azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Post by azruss »

if you can jump the relay and get the pump to work, then you have a tired relay. most FI'ers carry a spare. they are easy enough to bench test. should be able hear the relay close when 12V is applied.
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Post by rlux4 »

Remember though, it's a dual relay. You'd have to check that both relays in the case are working. That would be a matter of determining which contacts close which side's relay. It's been so long since I had the intermittent loss of power to the fuel pump that I forget which they would be.
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.
124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Post by 124JOE »

i agree with vandar ING switch is going "slowly"
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com