Another "starter" issue thread

Gotta love that wiring . . .
Lo4dapack
Your car is a: 1979 Pininfarina

Another "starter" issue thread

Post by Lo4dapack »

Given the abundance of existing electrical/starter threads, I only post this because of the combination of problems I am having. I have downloaded the Artigue diagnostic manual, but have not gone through the perscribed motions yet.

Just bought a 1979 Spider coming from a family of MG owners and need it to run before my family visits in a couple of weeks to save face. When I purchased it a couple of weeks ago it ran, but had a new battery and the owner said that it was having starter problems. Since then, the "starter" problems have resulted in the car not starting anymore. My observations are as follows:

When key is in ignition and turned, the voltage at the battery is around 8 and continues to drop.
When key is in ignition turned one or more positions, the aftermarket electronic fuel pump starts click clicking
When key is turned one or more positions, the headlights do not turn off. In each of the three positions of the light switch, they are on (not sure if that is normal or not)
The "starter" problem the previous owner referred to was that when you turned the key, the engine would sometimes not turn over or just sluggishly turn over. However, the car started for the past couple weeks, even though it needed some encouragement.
Tried starting it with battery hooked to fully charged and functional battery via jumper cables, and engine sluggishly turned over, but would not start. (didn't check voltage when I did this)

I plan to go through the electrical diagnostic, but thought you guys might see something in the symptoms above that would help me narrow my search. Please save me from being laughed out of my family...
htchevyii
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 Spider hers 1972 Spider his

Re: Another "starter" issue thread

Post by htchevyii »

I'd start by having the battery checked, 8volts won't cut it.
Trey
1982 SPIDER 2000, 1964 CHEVYII, 1969 Chevy Nova, 2005 DODGE RAM, 1988 Jeep Comanche
1972 Spider, 78 Spider rat racer 57 f-100,
azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Post by azruss »

sounds like a weak battery and/or bad connections. using jumper cables will not compensate for a bad ground. check your battery as suggested. also clean your battery ground on both ends, clean your engine ground. inspect the connection to the body to see if it is corroded. If all the checks out okay, then you are looking at a bad ignition switch.
124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Post by 124JOE »

i totaly agree on that your starter was probably not bolted down since when???
if it was changed in a hurry it could have gotten dirtyor worse striped
get a set of shorty wreches "13mm" metric and see if there tight.
go under the car at drivers side to check that body ground to the tranz.

your headlights should be off when its up.
if you can get a mecanical pump you can

and your welcome.joe
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Post by rlux4 »

The engine ground Russ is talking about is critical. You'll find it near the rear of the engine/front of the tranny on the passenger side. It need to be a good cable with a clean, solid connection or the starter won't get a good enough circuit to work well.
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.
124JOE

Post by 124JOE »

im sorry mine is also back of the motor just under the starter"driverside"on the inspection plate for the flywheel

i guess they moved them around some.joe

i also added a 2nd
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
Lo4dapack

Post by Lo4dapack »

Great suggestions, I will check the grounds and starter bolts.
Sounds like the headlight situation is a separate issue, so I will put that on the back burner for now.

Thanks for the help!
124JOE

Post by 124JOE »

i think the switch may by faulty
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Post by rlux4 »

His 79 is a 2000, Joe, and there were quite a few changes made that year. Being a 2000 I'm assuming it would be the same location as mine and the other 2000s I've seen.
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.
majicwrench

Post by majicwrench »

Starting issue is not a switch issue. Yes, check connections. Yes, get battery fully charged and tested. Eight volts is not enough to do anything. Battery in trunk is not the best set-up, and everything has to be clean and tight. If battery good, connections good, then you need to start thinking starter.
Keith
124JOE

Post by 124JOE »

124JOE wrote:i think the switch may by faulty
im sorry
i think the headlight switch is faulty
Lo4dapack

Post by Lo4dapack »

I cleaned the grounds, recharged battery and it started up perfectly for a week.

After attempting to bleed the brakes yesterday, I turned the key to start it back up and it started, but there was an odd "whirring" type of noise coming from under the air filter. Sounded like something started, but didn't stop when it was supposed to. I turned the engine off, but the noise persisted. I took the key out of the ignition, but the noise kept going. Sounded vaguely like a fan that was gradually burning itself out. I unhooked the battery and it stopped, but when i hooked it back up to quickly find out exactly what was making the noise, it started the whirring again, then just stopped. Now, when I turn the key, I just get a "click" and nothing engages. I am pretty sure it is driver side under the air filter.

Any ideas on what needs to be replaced and why it suddenly burned itself out?

Thanks again!
124JOE

Post by 124JOE »

you HAVE a bad batt.low voltage is not allowing the starter to stop
majicwrench

Post by majicwrench »

Your battery is not neccessarily bad. Although it is possible for a weak battery to cause the contacts in the soleniod to stick together. Is your battery still at 12.5 volts???? If not charge it, then see what happens.

I would GUESS that the noise was your starter continueing to run.

Test battery, charge if need be.