Hope you guys are patient?

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
chico

Hope you guys are patient?

Post by chico »

So decided to buy myself a fixer upper or something like that. My son graduates in 3 years and decided it would be good for him to learn about cars and how to fix them before he graduates. So since my 79 is still drivable and I don't want to be stuck with out a car for the next 3 years found myself a fixer upper. The motor has been rebuild the undercarage rust has been fixed so it looks as if the remainder will be.....almost everything. I'll be looking at the forum for some help and thank everyone in advance for putting up with me in the next 3 years. So to get started what should I absolutely replace in the front end...... steering linkage, shocks, struts, bushings, calipers what other things would I want to make sure are fresh since the front end has been completely dismantled? Also could anyone tell me the order I should follow in putting the front end back together? Always turns out I start at number 3 to realize number 1 should have been done first...lol. Here are some pictures of the car before restoration started and what she looks like now....I like to call her Frankenfiat.
azygoustoyou

Re: Hope you guys are patient?

Post by azygoustoyou »

before you take off the front suspension. Measure the ball joints center to center so you'll have a close estimate of where to put the new ones. I would check the rubber before changing it. Maybe they are still good. Definitely check the fluid level in the steering box and idler arm. :mrgreen: What seats do you have installed :?:
Looks good! Congrats
chico

Post by chico »

The front end has been completely and I mean completely disassembled by owner number 2. I'm going to have to start from fresh. I believe they are Riccardo seats. Hopefully the undercarriage inspection goes well so I can go forward with this project otherwise I'm going to have alot of spare parts for my 79. :)
124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Post by 124JOE »

inspect the crossmember mounts to see if the nuts and the pockets there in are ok
check the crossmember for cracks,figure out whitch bolts are needed and instal the CM.

pick a side and bolt up the upper Aarm to the upper ball joint/spindle,then to the swing mount"on top"
there should be one washer on each stud for the lower Aarm.bolt it on, you need a inner spring compresser"rent one for 50$
then return it for 50$ from autozone"compress the spring and bolt the lower ball joint on.support the outer end and install the shock,caliper mounts,calipers with brakepads,then the wheel.
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com
vandor
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider

Post by vandor »

[quote="124JOE"] bolt up the upper Aarm to the upper ball joint/spindle,then to the swing mount"on top"
there should be one washer on each stud for the lower Aarm.bolt it on,

Interesting. I always bolt on the lower a-arm to the crossmember first, install the compressed spring, jack up the lower a-arm with a jack, then bolt the upper a-arm to the car.
I suppose there are many ways of doing it.

BTW, on the original pics it looks like the car's rear is riding quite high, I wonder if later springs were installed, as early Spiders (1966-74) sat lower.
Csaba
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'17 124 Abarth, silver
http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/
Co-owner of the best dang Fiat parts place in town