Vinyl Paint - Who's Used it? Who loves/hates it?

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
jimmycakes401

Vinyl Paint - Who's Used it? Who loves/hates it?

Post by jimmycakes401 »

For those of us waiting to save up for new items or restored items, has anyone done much with vinyl paint? I have a boot cover in pretty good shape, but it's tan rather than black. I'm thinking of painting it. I also need to paint the console I have while I wait to build a new one.
kmac33
Your car is a: 1974 Spider

Re: Vinyl Paint - Who's Used it? Who loves/hates it?

Post by kmac33 »

Going tan to black will be no problem. Key to a good result is proper prep.
Kevin McMullen

1974 Fiat Spider - Restoration Complete! But the mods/refinements continue
1980 Fiat Spider
2013 Subaru WRX
jimmycakes401

Post by jimmycakes401 »

I assume it comes with instructions for that? That's good news to hear.
124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Post by 124JOE »

as painting goes just before paint you should wipe it down with acitone and then a tack cloth"its tacky"it removes dust and
small strings that almost float
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com
Italchic

Post by Italchic »

I've used SEM with good results. I also used a bonding agent to help with adhesion. The product I used is called Bulldog. I did my seats, door panels and the inserts on the boot.
jimmycakes401

Post by jimmycakes401 »

Sounds good. I have plenty of painting stuff, so a tack rag is here and ready to rock. Great advice on the bulldog. I'll need to look that up. I want the boot cover to last a while. Looking up now.
jimmycakes401

Post by jimmycakes401 »

I was going to order the paint from IAP but they don't have an adhesion agent. Did you get your Bulldog and paint from the same place? If so, where did you get your's?
htchevyii
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 Spider hers 1972 Spider his

Post by htchevyii »

It's commonly called adhesion promoter, I've used it for paint, but never tried it with dye. I haven't had very good luck with dye on high wear areas such as arm rests and front seats, it wears thru.
http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/adhesion/
Trey
1982 SPIDER 2000, 1964 CHEVYII, 1969 Chevy Nova, 2005 DODGE RAM, 1988 Jeep Comanche
1972 Spider, 78 Spider rat racer 57 f-100,
fiat124fl

Post by fiat124fl »

It's quite easy to re-dye the vinyl. The only thing is how long it will last and how well it handles the regular usage. I used a few cans directly from AutoZone, it turned out pretty good.
Italchic

Post by Italchic »

I got the Bulldog adhesion promoter at the same auto parts store as the SEM vinyl paint. I'm in Girard, Ohio (northeast part of the state). The parts store is Tom's Automotive 935 N. State St. Girard, Ohio 44420 330-545-4336. I don't know if they ship, but I guess you could give them a call.
jimmycakes401

Post by jimmycakes401 »

The two main things I'm dying/painting are the boot cover and the console. I don't plan on touch the console all that much and I doubt I'll take the boot cover off. I have black seats that I bought. So those won't be dyed.
ga.spyder
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Post by ga.spyder »

I ordered the SEM vinyl paint and prep from Eastwood.com.I have had excellent results,and have dyed two different boot cover...one from red to tan.Very easy to work with and lasts well.
Craig Nelson

1982 Spider 2000...pride and joy
1981 Fiat X1/9..gone but not forgotten
1976 124 Spider..the self-healer
2001 BMW 328ci daily driver and track car
Fling It Around Turns !