My Window Is Stuck

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
Voyetra8

My Window Is Stuck

Post by Voyetra8 »

I went to roll down the window in my Spider and it is stuck. I didn't try to force it, because it appears that the window is sticking near the lock. From what I can tell, the lock mechanism somehow got under the window. The inside door handle doesn't work properly now either. I tried taking the door apart to fix it, but I can't get the window crank off. Any advice on what I need to remove the door panel to fix it? Do I need one of those tools that slides in behind the handcrank? Any precautions I should know about?
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

you do need the right tool to remove the handle, it's a thin blade that slides around the handle and removes the spring clip. Common to most cars that have manual windows. The window must be out of the channel if it's hitting the lock mechanism
Danno

Post by Danno »

One method that works with some cars is getting a rag and kinda using a flossing motion once you wedge that rag between the handle and the door. You need to know which way the clip comes off of course, but that's how I've done it with other cars in the past.
perthling

Post by perthling »

I have also found that a bent paper clip or other fairly strong wire can be fashioned into a hook to slide in behind the plastic shroud between the handle and the door panel, and a swift tug once it is hooked in under the retaining clip pops it out easily.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

the proper tool is really cheap, and if you're going to be maintaining or restoring a car, is well worth the investment of a few dollars. It'll save you some time too
Voyetra8

Post by Voyetra8 »

Just an FYI...I fixed my window today. And I didn't use a flat tool. In fact, I don't think a flat tool would have worked. The clip that holds the crank on can be accessed by removing the black cap from the crank, and inserting a screwdriver in one of the three holes, pushing the clip a bit, and wiggling the crank off.

As for my window, I somehow fixed it, but don't know how. I took the entire door apart and still couldn't see what was blocking the window. It was on the track fine, and there wasn't anything under it. But it wouldn't go down. I checked every pulley and wire and everything seemed in place. So I just applied a bit more force until I heard a loud bang noise...then the window went down fine. Kind of scared me that I'd broken something, and I still don't know what the issue was. But it's fixed, so I guess that's all that matters.
Hjulen

Post by Hjulen »

Brute force can fix any problem :lol:

kinda
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

glad to hear you didn't use a hammer on it :roll:
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

R-R-R matey! Kick it next time.

And I've used a piece of wire coat hanger bent into a hook for about 30 years. It does not always take a special to to be good at auto restoration - but, in most cases, using the proper tool for the job generally is quicker and produces less damage to you and the fastener.