old style door handle and lock 1977 and older

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
psg

old style door handle and lock 1977 and older

Post by psg »

Will someone take close up pictures of both exterior door handles with a tight shot on the push button? I am needing to see the orientation of the key opening. thanks. psg
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Re: old style door handle and lock 1977 and older

Post by manoa matt »

The slot should be horizontal. There is a tiny metal flap that covers the key hole. The key that opens the trunk and glove box also opens the doors. The key is symmetrical front/back, up/down unlike the ignition key which can only be inserted one way.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fiat-124 ... 1c1f3e487b

Although we share the same first name, no affiliation to the seller, I just picked that listing as it had a good photo with the key inserted.

Fiat changed the handle design mid 1978. Early 78's had the early style handle, while late 78's had the later style handle.
psg

Re: old style door handle and lock 1977 and older

Post by psg »

Thanks for the work but I need to see the button without the key inserted.

I have been trying to figure out if there is a "right side up" to the lock. Depending on which side the lock is used changes the orientation of the ball (on the backside of the lock which attaches to the nylon connector) that is attached to the locking mechanism on the door. I am guessing it makes a difference and since the lock can be inserted either way into the door handle, and the locking pieces are sold as right side and left side I think I need to figure this out. The place where the key is inserted has a slight indentation which directs the key into the lock and that will tell me which door receives which lock.... (wow if that isn't confusing!). thanks again.