Power window won't lower

Gotta love that wiring . . .
dantye
Your car is a: all gone

Power window won't lower

Post by dantye »

My driver's side power window was working fine, now it suddenly won't lower. The motor seems OK, but the window will go up and down only about a quarter inch from the top position.

This happened after putting it all the way up (with the top up), then experiencing a window rattle and trying to lower it to stop the rattle.

I have opened and lubed them in both doors, but I won't be opening this one up right away, so I thought I would see if any of you had experienced this and had any pointers.

Thanks!
124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Re: Power window won't lower

Post by 124JOE »

are your wondow guides loose or out of proper location?
causing it to tip and lock?
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com
dantye

Post by dantye »

I have checked and adjusted the window guides inside the door. It seems to be something more obtuse, so I have put up a number of high res photos on the following site:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1016081616 ... 4048850802

The pin inside the small hole shown looks like it should engage with something, but what? None of the cables seem to be broken, but the cable section from the motor mechanism to the pulley on the bolt at the door top-right pulls tight when the window is all the way up, but goes very slack when the window drops only about 1/4 - 3/8" when attempting to lower it with the switch.

Also the worm gear photo doesn't look quite right. I will continue adding photos to the album as I get some with fewer shadows and more detail. I discovered that the weld shop that fixed the door hinges several months ago left considerable steel shavings inside the door, and I have been digging them out with a long flex magnet pick-up, and have found NO dropped parts in the bottom of the door in the process. If anyone can help, I would sure appreciate it!

Thanks
dantye

Post by dantye »

Next diagnostic technique: Taking some videos of the faulty operation today to see if that will ID the catch-point.
dantye

Post by dantye »

SOLVED! Circled (in mirror) is the twisted angle stop. The mounting bolt was loose, so It twisted just enough that when the window was stopped by the convertible top, it moved ABOVE, rather than BELOW the matching "limit-up" bracket shown. This prevented lowering of the window.

Maybe this will help someone else.
124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Post by 124JOE »

oh, :) thats a good find
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com