Dual points conversion..what am I doing wrong?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
TulsaSpider
Your car is a: 1978 Spyder 124 2L

Dual points conversion..what am I doing wrong?

Post by TulsaSpider »

Ok so I was reading the IAP tech bulletin on how to convert my 78 dual points system into a single points system. It seems pretty dang straight forward...and I quote....
"The process is as follows: Remove distributor cap and rotor. Disconnect the wire that leads to each set of points. Tape the two wires back to the harness so that they are out of the way. Remove one of the two sets of points (it does not matter which one; flip a coin) and its attendant condenser, and discard. Now, with an 18 gauge piece of wire and the appropriate crimp-on wiring terminals, connect the wire of the remaining set of points directly to the negative terminal of the coil. Start the car, and using a stroboscopic timing light, set the timing to 10 degrees BTDC. Congratulations, you've just converted your Fiat to single points. Simple eh? . "
End quote...
Ok this is the procedure in my own words... disconnect the leads to the points and reconnect one of them to the neg side of the coil. I remember someone saying to leave the 2nd points in there as a backup so that's what I did. But it didn't start. Even the starter sounded a bit funny and smoke came out of my dizzy! So I reconnected it back the way it was and it started right up sooooooo what gives? Is this the correct procedure? Maybe my coil is wired up backward???
1978 Spyder 1800 make that 2L! Finally making real progress!
So Cal Mark

Re: Dual points conversion..what am I doing wrong?

Post by So Cal Mark »

why would you discard the extra points and cond? Crazy. Their method should work otherwise. Disconnect both sets of points and wire one directly to the - side of the coil. I chose to do mine differently. I removed the relay and merely jumpered two ternimals; the switched power to one set of points.
TulsaSpider

Post by TulsaSpider »

Well their version didn't work for me!! or my coil may be hooked up backwards or something perhaps from the PO so how would I test that? I think I'll try it your way!!
wmpwilson

Post by wmpwilson »

In the wiring diagram I am looking at (1977), it has the points being fed from the positve side of the coil. You may think about trying that terminal......
TulsaSpider

Post by TulsaSpider »

Well I just jumped it like Mark said. It worked just fine! Mark those other wires on that connection/relay it's Ok to leave them unplugged?
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

yes, you can leave the other terminals open. If you have an ohmmeter, try figuring out which terminal in the relay connector feeds the unused set of points. That way if you ever suffer a points or condensor failure you can just switch your jumper wire and get running in record time
blurple124
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by blurple124 »

While we are on this subject, I have been toying with doing the same thing-I just bought a '78 myself.

My question is, once the ignition is converted from dual to single points, if I was looking for an electronic conversion kit, wouldn't I be able to look for a conversion from single points rather than worrying about finding one appropriate for dual points?

Are there any brands/models that work best or are tried and true?
Charlie
1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800 - Antonia
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport
124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Post by 124JOE »

i use the fireball3000 from crain cams on my 78.it came with dual origanal,but i never had dual setup.joe
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com
chico

Post by chico »

Perfect just what I needed to know....so then I can bypass the ignition module and hook my distributer directly to my coil.

Blue wire to the ceramic resistor
other side of ceramic resistor to positive of coil
neg side of coil to distributer
hook both points together with one of the green wires that goes to the module so my tach work and good to go and no damage to the car.......right?

Any input would be great 1978 spider thanks
Sorry for hi jacking your post but I think it is the same question
Rob
majicwrench

Post by majicwrench »

Chico, I am confused (happens a lot) if you have points, you shouldn't have a module, so I am not sure what you are doing...
Keith
chico

Post by chico »

The ignition module I'm referring to is a control box under the glove box. The brown wire from the coil goes into this control box and from what I can tell goes to the two green wires to the distributer. If you want I can try taking a picture. Thanks for your time. Rob