fuel problems

General chat about the car goes in here.
danny910

fuel problems

Post by danny910 »

fuel pump only works when the engine is being started. when the engine starts & I release the key the fuel pump stops working. NEED HELP!!!!!
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

need more info; yr, FI or carb, etc
Danno

Post by Danno »

you are gonna have to wait for someone smart, but that almost certainly seems like a problem with your ignition and/or its wiring.
Danno

Post by Danno »

and as I post, someone smart comes along, lol.
Mad-Machine

Post by Mad-Machine »

if it is a carbed car.. the fuel pump should run whenever the ignition key is "on"

if it is a fuel injected car.. the pump will run initially to prime the system and then kick off until the flap in the airbox moves.
Mario

Post by Mario »

Mad-Machine wrote:if it is a carbed car.. the fuel pump should run whenever the ignition key is "on"

if it is a fuel injected car.. the pump will run initially to prime the system and then kick off until the flap in the airbox moves.
From what i've read on the various forums most fiats have been rewired to work this way. At least on my car the factory setup was to run the fuel pump when cranking or when there is oil pressure. This was a safety feature and not to save the engine if the oil pressure went away. There was a seperate oil pressure switch to turn on the pump.

Mario
bandit

Post by bandit »

Danny

We need to know what year car you have cause it might not be your
fuel pump I am thinking it is your points if it is a 76-78(1800) that
come with duel points one is for starting and the other is for after the
engine is running so if you turn the key and it starts up then dies as
soon as you let go of the Key that would be your Points .
If your car is FI (1980 half - 1985 ) and it dies as soon as you let go
of the Key then it must be your Ignition switch, fuse or relay .
Post us some more info about the year what has been done to the
car is it stock ?

Daniel