Wiring Consultant Wanted

Gotta love that wiring . . .
ammonite
Your car is a: 1978 Spider

Wiring Consultant Wanted

Post by ammonite »

Help! I need assistance in solving my wiring problems. Is it possible to find someone that I can hire as a remote consutant? I take digital pictures or video of my wiring and the consultant views them on-line and makes recommendations? I live in a small town in rural Alberta where there are no mechanics and too far from a big city to take my car there and I cannot drive it until I can pass safety inspection. I could pay, say $30 per hour with a 10 hour minimum in advance and you can help me get signal lights and hazards, etc. Any takers?
124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Re: Wiring Consultant Wanted

Post by 124JOE »

theres plenty of info on this site as well as links to others like http://artigue.com/?page_id=58
has factory wire diagrams,but some of the more knowlageable members will step up for some help.joe

ok most ele problems are grounds all the grounds need one at a time remove clean and grease with a dielectric grease
can you check for positive?

read thishttp://www.fiatspider.com/f08/viewtopic.php?f= ... ard#p55282
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com
ammonite

Post by ammonite »

Hi Joe, thanks for your quick reply. You seem to be the most active expert here. Can I pay you for trouble-shooting? I hope that doesn't offend you.

I have downloaded the artigue 1978 wiring diagrams and a 1979 factory schematics. The 1979 Hazard Switch configuration is closer to my car's wiring but very different still. Many PO's have stuck their noses and stray bits of wiring here and there. Then several restorers before me have ripped it apart and attempted to randomly reassemble. A nightmare.

I had everything working except Hazard lights about a month ago and then brought a painting crew in who descended on my poor fiat like a horde of locusts and stripped it bare. After several weeks of putting it all back together solo nearly nothing electrical works. I have one tailight, one front side marker, one back marker, no signal lights, horn, heater or hazard lights.

I am sure that I could 'check for positive' if I knew what that meant. I have testers and ohm meters and what not, am a quick learn and have all the time I need. Is a 'ground' anywhere that a wire connects to the chassis? Sorry for the elementary questions.

If you have paypal I can send you a retainer for your time and expertise. No pressure and no guarantees. Please?
ORFORD2004
Your car is a: 1983 PININFARINA

Post by ORFORD2004 »

Just shoot your picture here and everybody will try to help you for free.
124JOE

Post by 124JOE »

ORFORD2004 wrote:Just shoot your picture here and everybody will try to help you for free.
yes for free
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
124JOE

Post by 124JOE »

i use a test light that shows green LED for positive and green for ground, yes the chassis is all ground under the paint.
do you know were the fuse box is" test fuses on both sides"
horn --look to see if the wires are pluged in on the horn itself the wire goes to a relay under the glovebox and runs to the bottom of the stering colum pluging in and running up to the button.but i belive your #2fuses or B is bad gone or coroded .that would explain the heater down as well

as some of us have there car apart we all could give info via pics for all to see

so we want to know what year"sorry if i missed it"the car is?
what area you need photograph?
is it still only your turn and hazzard? turn signals get power thru the hazzards. so the switch needs to be in place
and wired correctly for the turn signals to work.also bad bulbs can be a headache,turn signal bulbs test. use 1 bulb at a time in the interior light"the ones that fit anyway"the ones that dont fit can be tested on your other car.joe
ammonite

Post by ammonite »

My car is a 1978. Tested fuse box as follows:

With ignition on:
A & B - positive both ends,
C, D, E, F, G, H - negative both ends,
I & L - positive both ends

With ignition off:
A & B - positive both ends,
C, D, E, F, G, H, I, L - negative both ends.

I have replaced all fuses and bulbs. Cleaned grounds at G1, G2 & G3.

Here is my Hazard Switch:

I have the following Orphan wires:

These two wires (red with light blue stripes) are coming from the right tail light harness.

This harness comes from the transmission well and has two lightblue/white and one light green/white.

These four wires come from the dash and #1 & #4 are black with grey stripes and go to the G3 ground - neither #2 or #3 are live and go into the general wiring harness.

This switch has a red lead that is protected by it's own fuse but not connected to anything, the green wire is connected to fuse 'A'.

This bundle of violet and blue wires maybe went to the radio?

More to come...
124JOE

Post by 124JOE »

ill go snap some pics

heres my hazzard
124JOE

Post by 124JOE »

I have the following Orphan wires:

These two wires (red with light blue stripes) are coming from the right tail light harness.

as do i,i think there for testing
124JOE

Post by 124JOE »

This harness comes from the transmission well and has two lightblue/white and one light green/white.

these could be for the fan or Ebrake or reverse
124JOE

Post by 124JOE »

my radio power sorce
124JOE

Post by 124JOE »

These four wires come from the dash and #1 & #4 are black with grey stripes and go to the G3 ground - neither #2 or #3 are live and go into the general wiring harness.

This switch has a red lead that is protected by it's own fuse but not connected to anything, the green wire is connected to fuse 'A'.

i think the dual red my go to the cig lighter mine are red and yellow and black"ground"
yellow is for a light ring around the lighter"its switched on with running lights.joe
ammonite

Post by ammonite »

124JOE wrote:ill go snap some pics

heres my hazzard
Thanks Joe - what are the colors on these wires? My computer doesn't give me a very good image.

Lot's of good advise, I am seeing some progress - update later. :D
124JOE

Post by 124JOE »

top row left is white,2purple,red,empty
bottom left grey,2blue,empty,grey.

i wrote these colors down,there at home
they all have stripes or dots on the wires.
if you need them ill post it
ammonite

Post by ammonite »

124JOE wrote:top row left is white,2purple,red,empty
bottom left grey,2blue,empty,grey.

i wrote these colors down,there at home
they all have stripes or dots on the wires.
if you need them ill post it
As detailed info as possible, please. I tried to match the configuration you suggest but am unclear which white and grey wires so any further identification would be appreciated.