Pressure Wash A Muddy Car?

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
jimmycakes401

Pressure Wash A Muddy Car?

Post by jimmycakes401 »

I looked through the archives and mostly found engine bay advice. My car sat outside for quite some time. Not much rust, but a lot of splashed up dirt and spider webs. I was thinking about taking it outside today (nice and sunny) and pressure washing the wheel wells and under the car. Probably would have been better to do it BEFORE I rebuilt my brakes, but such is life. Suggestions?
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Re: Pressure Wash A Muddy Car?

Post by TX82FIAT »

As you most likely know, these cars have some spots where water will run freely and are prone to rust. The window sill, bottom front corner of door, wheel arches, convertible top section, Shock towers. A pressure washer will have the ability to forces water in to areas that may normally be sealed or partially sealed. For example, water that gets inside the door may sit in there for while. I don't like the idea of a pressure washer unless you will be dis-assembling the entire car in the near future to rust treat all applicable areas. I've seen a good number of spiders with minimal rust develope significant bubles under the pain from rust that occures from the inside out.

I know the pressure washer makes it quick and easy. I use a pressure washer on my other cars but not on my Spider. These cars are known for rust and i don't want a 30 year old issue to come to the surface.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
jimmycakes401

Re: Pressure Wash A Muddy Car?

Post by jimmycakes401 »

Hmmmm.... a good portion of my car is completely apart. I suppose I can sneak in there with a standard sprayer. Rub it off with brushes. I plan on painting most of the bottom etc.... it's in pretty good shape right now