Upper radio console

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
SanRafaelFaz

Upper radio console

Post by SanRafaelFaz »

The upper console (radio console) on my '78 Spider was torn away from it's rear mounting many years ago during the theft of a radio. Over the years I just kind of let it hang there, holding it opn with a jury rigged bracket under the passenger foot well. During this resto project I'm going to cover the dash and center console with caps but will need to either replace or repair the radio console.
Questions:
1) How hard is it to get that unit out and a new one in?
2) Since it's in relatively good shape otherwise, would I be better off just trying to re-attach it where it was originally fastened? If so, what's involved?

Thanks again for your on going help!
124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Re: Upper radio console

Post by 124JOE »

theres 4 screws and a few wires and the console is off
pull the Ebrake put the car in 4th undo the screws and slide it out 5 or 6 inches
then unplug the wires for the hazzard
my cig lighter wire is solid untill the inline fuse"pull the fuse and the cosole is free

i would use epoxie to glue it back together
wait 24 hours then reinstall in same loc.joe
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com
SanRafaelFaz

Re: Upper radio console

Post by SanRafaelFaz »

124JOE wrote:theres 4 screws and a few wires and the console is off
pull the Ebrake put the car in 4th undo the screws and slide it out 5 or 6 inches
then unplug the wires for the hazzard
my cig lighter wire is solid untill the inline fuse"pull the fuse and the cosole is free

i would use epoxie to glue it back together
wait 24 hours then reinstall in same loc.joe
Thanks, Joe. I'll give that a try.