Tube Bumper Thoughts & Solutions?

What sets your Spider apart from the rest?
htchevyii
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 Spider hers 1972 Spider his

Re: Tube Bumper Thoughts & Solutions?

Post by htchevyii »

I just got done doing mine. I probabily did it the hard way, but I removed the bumpers and all but the left rear bumper shock, (the one with the fuel tank in the way). I put on safety glasses and then stuck the bit thru a piece of cardboard and drilled the shocks, (cardboard deflected the oil spray). The biggest reason I removed the struts was so I could easilly drill all the way thru them and put a bolt and nut thru them, (on the off chance something actually hits the bumper and not the body above, I wanted to retain some strength and didn't think a self tapping screw would be strong enough). Make sure the struts don't turn or your bumpers won't line up. Welding them would work as well, but I wasn't sure how smart it would be with the boiling oil inside. I'll post some pics when I get back from the Oregon Mirafiori Campout, (the camera is allready packed).
Craig, you were my inspiration, you car looks great.
Trey
1982 SPIDER 2000, 1964 CHEVYII, 1969 Chevy Nova, 2005 DODGE RAM, 1988 Jeep Comanche
1972 Spider, 78 Spider rat racer 57 f-100,
ga.spyder
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Post by ga.spyder »

Thanks Trey,we will look forward to some pictures.The way you did it would be the best route.I wanted to thru-bolt the bumper shocks,but realized it wouldnt work,after I drilled them with the bumpers on :oops: Have fun at the Mira event,and take lots of pictures!! I will have my camera rolling at FFO next week as well.
Craig
Craig Nelson

1982 Spider 2000...pride and joy
1981 Fiat X1/9..gone but not forgotten
1976 124 Spider..the self-healer
2001 BMW 328ci daily driver and track car
Fling It Around Turns !
opus10583
Your car is a: 1978 CS1

Post by opus10583 »

ga.spyder wrote:It wa very simple.I drilled 1/4'' holes in the bumper shocks(wear eye protection),and allowed all the fluid to drain overnight.Then I pushed them in
to where it looked good to me.When they were in position,I pinned them with self tapping screws.I didnt care for the look with the bumpers off and this was the next best,and by far least expensive fix
And yours looks great!

Can we assume you removed the shocks from the car? How about the driver's? Any process pictures?

I had a real good look at a tube bumper car undergoing a serious restoration recently and I can't figure out how to drill the bumper shocks in the right place without serious dis-assembly. Having just gotten my car back after a 6-week repair, I was hoping to avoid anymore lost days this season.

Thanks,
Mark
...Yes; I know what it means: Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino.

DOLCETTO: 1978 CS1; 10:1, DMS, 4-2-1...
ANDIAMMO: 2012 500 ABARTH

Acquista il Biglietto; Prendere la Gita! - Hunter S. Thompson
htchevyii
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 Spider hers 1972 Spider his

finally got around to those pictures

Post by htchevyii »

I finally got around to snapping some pics of the "after". I took all of the bumper shocks off, except the driver's rear, (you know, with the silly fuel tank in the way), drilled them and put bolts thru them. Sticking the drill bit thru a piece of cardboard deflects the oil spray. The left rear I drilled and then tapped the hole and screwed in a bolt. I should have painted the bolts black, maybe I'll buy a Testors paint pen and do it. It was very difficult to get the plastic covers reinstalled on the inside of the front bumper, due to the limited clearance, I should hace put them onto the bumper first.
Trey
1982 SPIDER 2000, 1964 CHEVYII, 1969 Chevy Nova, 2005 DODGE RAM, 1988 Jeep Comanche
1972 Spider, 78 Spider rat racer 57 f-100,
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Post by rlux4 »

Well now the twins can be told apart Trey. I can't do my rears because the trailer hitch has a bolt that goes through it so I decided not to do the front either. I guess I'm still trying to have the last unmodified Spider in America! (If you don't count the hitch.) :lol:
ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.
dkphotog

Post by dkphotog »

divinabuddy wrote:
Nancy1340 wrote:
ga.spyder wrote:

That looks sooooo much better. I'm not much on changing things up but I'd do that.
Hi, can you please tell how you moved the bumpers closer to the body? I'm about to take them off but hugging the body looks good enough to keep them on.
THIS LOOKS AMAZING!!! I'm definitely going to do this to my '78......IMO it's silly to take them off - I don't want my car to look like a '74 or like it's from Europe....honestly I want it to look like what it is only better so this is a great solution. When I want one with different bumpers I can buy one from that era. :roll:

Plus - in San Francisco you actually do need bumpers - people are brutal about their parking there and have no problem bumping your car a bit.
MyWE4

Post by MyWE4 »

I thought I would post a few pics as my mess moves forward....
this is a test fit....I like it.....I will say that if I had a nice tube I would not paint it...but this thing was RUSTY!!! I like the 'one tube look' on the front ....if I may say so myself....The back tube is in 'driver' condition(after I cleaned it)....I hate to paint it..
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Post by TX82FIAT »

Nice pics. Custom badge! I think if the front bumper is black with one tube you will need to do something to balance the car out. I still have the original bumper set up and actually sold a set of 72' bumpers cheap that I was going to put on the car. like the San Fran commentary... I would hate to drive the car without bumpers for that one time someone does not see me. It is really odd the way people seem to want to pull out in front of you in a Spider. Guess they just mis judge the speed you are going or think you are further away because it is a small car.

As cool as the car looks without bumpers. if it is a driver you will need some type of bumper. Original looks better the older the cars get.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
wikkid

Post by wikkid »

TX82FIAT wrote: It is really odd the way people seem to want to pull out in front of you in a Spider. Guess they just mis judge the speed you are going or think you are further away because it is a small car.
Try riding a motorcycle, if you think it's bad in a Fiat!
opus10583

Post by opus10583 »

Hi,

I'm going to do this this winter. ...Renting a garage I can work in.

What size drill bit?

Is there a sweet spot to drill into, a point better than another?
Is there a spot not to drill into?

Any advantage to drilling into the end of the large tube, on the bottom of the circumference?

How much oil should I expect; 100ml, 200ml?

Are the the shocks pressurized with gas, or just mechanically?

Through bolts or just big-ass sheet metal screws to lock them?

Can the shocks be collapsed too much?

Anything else?

Thanks,
Mark

WYSpider

Post by WYSpider »

Someone mentioned drilling through cardboard then into the bumper. Keeps oil from spraying you.
124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Post by 124JOE »

drill your 1/4" hole at the rear of the small inner shaft
expect it to pop as it is charged
no you cant go to far and it dont need a bolt or screw but helps keep it still and dirt free
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com
opus10583

Post by opus10583 »

124JOE wrote:drill your 1/4" hole at the rear of the small inner shaft
expect it to pop as it is charged
no you cant go to far and it dont need a bolt or screw but helps keep it still and dirt free
Hi Joe,

Why the small tube, I would have thought the large is the reservoir...

Thanks,
Mark

124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Post by 124JOE »

i may be wrong
if the little one dont have fluid when you drill into it
then it must be the bigger one,as the pics above show the bolt in it
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com
RoyBatty
Your car is a: 1975 124 Spider - 1971 124 Sport Coupe

Post by RoyBatty »

Just got done relocating my '75's front bumper 2-1/4" to the rear.
I used a different method from what I've read in this thread.
I first removed the single large bolt from each side that secured the tube to the mount bracket. This allowed the whole bumper to slide in and out of the brackets.
I then replaced the metric bolts with 9/16 x 12 bolts and nut and then installed worm screw clamps on the tube in front of and behind the bracket to prevent the bumper from sliding around on it's own.
No drilling required and the process is easily reversed.