77 to 79

General chat about the car goes in here.
Cbigattini

77 to 79

Post by Cbigattini »

I wish the old archives were up as I am sure this has been discussed before, but nonetheless here it goes. I currently run a fairly stock 77 124, and would like to transplant most everything into a redone 79 body. I have decided to keep the doors of the 79, but what else should I be changing (which fits and which is best to use)? I believe I should keep the rear end from the 77, can I replace the 79 dash with the 77, cross member? (my 1800 will be going in it) tranny mount, hood, wiring harness etc. Does anyone have this knowledge on the tip of their tongue, or is there a link that I could research. Any help would be appreciated. I rebuilt the 1800 and put a 4-2-1 exhaust and will be looking at a dual carb set up once the build is finished. I will also be using old blade bumpers for the front and rear, and after market rims. For now I will keep the original interior, but later will look at upgrading this as well. Thanks guys.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

I'd leave the 79 x-member for two reasons; it will lower your 1800 motor in the chassis about 1/2" which will help lower the center of gravity and since you're considering dual IDFs, you'll have more hood clearance for an adequate air cleaner and air horns. Rear end swap is really for choice of ratios, I don't think the strength factor is that different really.
Cbigattini

Post by Cbigattini »

Thanks Mark, didn't know that about the cross member, will do for sure. Any issues about the dash swap (only have the 77) or the fuel tank? Lastly how about the rear links. I just replaced all the control arms and panrod, will this fit or will I have to modify if to accept the 77 parts?
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

fuel tanks are the same and the rear links shouldn't be a problem. I haven't tried swapping those yr dashes, but I don't know of any reason it wouldn't fit. Are these other parts in better condition, or are you just anxious to swap some parts?
Cbigattini

Post by Cbigattini »

I bought a rolling 79 chasis that was in good shape. I have completed the little body that was needed, por 15 the entire interior and floorpan and now am in the stages of putting it back together. The 79 did not come with much parts other than the winshield frame, steering colum and some trim, and as I have been slowy building my 77 I want to use as much of the "new" parts as possible. Having said that I am not sure if everything totally is swappable (my own word :?:) or which I should be buying new. I am looking at a boattail for my newest daughter, but don't want to bring this up to the wife until this car is finished, hense my urgency to finsh it 8).