City Lights

Gotta love that wiring . . .
opus10583
Your car is a: 1978 CS1

City Lights

Post by opus10583 »

Hi,

I'm yet again thinking ahead to the day I actually get to drive my car and, since the days are now getting shorter, I'm also thinking ahead to the nights...

I haven't pulled the trigger, there's still the metal work bill a-comin', but Cibie 7-HCRs seems the only logical choice.

So here's my latest decision parameter: Will the variety with the City Light, which I wish to wire up as a DRL because I live in SUV-Pinhead Central, fit into the Spider headlight bucket with no or minimal cutting, carving and cursing?

Has anyone here done it?

Thanks,
Mark
...Yes; I know what it means: Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino.

DOLCETTO: 1978 CS1; 10:1, DMS, 4-2-1...
ANDIAMMO: 2012 500 ABARTH

Acquista il Biglietto; Prendere la Gita! - Hunter S. Thompson
baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Re: City Lights

Post by baltobernie »

Nope; it's a teeny, tiny bulb about as powerful as your license plate lamp. I once had a set that I wired into my parking lamps, but people kept thinking I had dim headlights!

You could try and find a halogen equivalent to the city bulb ... that might be bright enough to actually see in the daytime. For DRL Spider application, I'd go with the clear/amber parking lamp lens (see my avatar), then put a hefty bulb in the clear side. Finish the job with a twin-filament bulb in the amber side for park/turn. OR, get one of those kits that illuminates the front turn signal lamp continuously (until you activate the blinker).

OR ... install a loud muffler :D
Fiatmonkey

Post by Fiatmonkey »

Actually if you really want to get brighter light put relay kits on your high and low beams. All the big vendors sell the kits they are like $10-15 a kit. Put one on high and one on low, and if your lights are bright enough then upgrade to the H-4 level of bulbs. The benifit you receive from relay kits is that you stop the excessive power abuse through your ignition switch. This will in turn make your wiper motor a bit faster, heater fan stronger (not really needed), and radio loader.

The maximum is to relay all of the components and wow the car is different. Remember though to grease your wiper linkages once yearly. Dry wiper linkages = soon to replace motor.

Monkey Out!
opus10583

Post by opus10583 »

baltobernie wrote:Nope; it's a teeny, tiny bulb about as powerful as your license plate lamp. I once had a set that I wired into my parking lamps, but people kept thinking I had dim headlights!

You could try and find a halogen equivalent to the city bulb ... that might be bright enough to actually see in the daytime. For DRL Spider application, I'd go with the clear/amber parking lamp lens (see my avatar), then put a hefty bulb in the clear side. Finish the job with a twin-filament bulb in the amber side for park/turn. OR, get one of those kits that illuminates the front turn signal lamp continuously (until you activate the blinker).

OR ... install a loud muffler :D
Hi, Bernie.

(It is Bernie, is it?)

I'm thinking that might be enough, an LED "bulb" or somesuch, it just needs to look different enough to trigger a second look.

It might be moot, I have a querie in for some dimensional diagrams to determine if they'll even fit in the buckets.

On that last bit, I'm hoping what I have is a mellifluous muffler, I might even know in ten days time.

Thanks,
Mark

opus10583

Post by opus10583 »

Fiatmonkey wrote:Actually if you really want to get brighter light put relay kits on your high and low beams. All the big vendors sell the kits they are like $10-15 a kit. Put one on high and one on low, and if your lights are bright enough then upgrade to the H-4 level of bulbs. The benifit you receive from relay kits is that you stop the excessive power abuse through your ignition switch. This will in turn make your wiper motor a bit faster, heater fan stronger (not really needed), and radio loader.

The maximum is to relay all of the components and wow the car is different. Remember though to grease your wiper linkages once yearly. Dry wiper linkages = soon to replace motor.

Monkey Out!
Hi "Monkey",

I'm on it, IAP sells a $40 kit including pre-fabbed harness and relays, just waiting to choose the lights. I'm also adding a RRFL (LLMSL), on a relay, and if/when I do front fogs - relays as well.

I thought I'd never use the wipers, even thought about removing them as on a Dino 246 I've seen, but I'm too much of a nut about clean windshields. Thanks for the tip about greasing the linkages!

Mark

Fiatmonkey

Post by Fiatmonkey »

WOW $40 thats steep. Most kits come with wiring... That's a bit of a stab you could have gotten cheaper, but if you got it good as it's what your really need for an all around better wired car.

Move up the tree you have learned. (no more ground fruit for you)

Coconut Milk!
opus10583

Post by opus10583 »

Fiatmonkey wrote:WOW $40 thats steep. Most kits come with wiring... That's a bit of a stab you could have gotten cheaper, but if you got it good as it's what your really need for an all around better wired car.

Move up the tree you have learned. (no more ground fruit for you)

Coconut Milk!
I know nothing about auto wiring beyond 'don't lick the battery'.

I'm under the impression the relay's alone are $10/ea.

Haven't bought it yet, check out their site, they have a PDF you can download detailing the pieces and installation: Plug 'n Play headlight relays for $40 seems like money well spent, re-inventing the wheel and tempus fugit and all that.

Fiatmonkey

Post by Fiatmonkey »

Relay kits + fuse + wiring harness are $10-15 all over the web, and from several of the vendors. All that kit is showing you is how to wire it plus $$$$. That's my 2 cents but don't lick the battery is a good idea too. Trust me I've been electricuted A LOT, but never while working on the Fiat you can do this with a less expensive kit.

Good Old Zappy!
Fiatmonkey

Post by Fiatmonkey »

P.S. if you need help just send me a email or PM and I can try to walk you through it.... It's really just a few snips and connectors.
zachmac
Your car is a: 1978 Spider [1979 2 ltr engine]

Post by zachmac »

Fiatmonkey wrote:Relay kits + fuse + wiring harness are $10-15 all over the web, and from several of the vendors. All that kit is showing you is how to wire it plus $$$$. That's my 2 cents but don't lick the battery is a good idea too. Trust me I've been electricuted A LOT, but never while working on the Fiat you can do this with a less expensive kit.

Good Old Zappy!
Monkey,

Not sure what you are looking at; the IAP kit is everything you need, relays, wiring, fuse blocks andfully reversible later if you sell to a purist (person who drives without lights in the dark). You can cobble togehter all these parts for less than $40 but not without effort. I think the IAP kit at $40 is pretty reasonable. BTW, you say all over the web? Can you post a link to such a kit with all you need for 10-15$)?
Jeff Klein, Aiken, SC
1980 FI Spider, Veridian with Tan (sold about a year ago), in the market for another project
1989 Spider, sold
2008 Mercedes SL65
2008 S600 Mercedes V12
Fiatmonkey

Post by Fiatmonkey »

Challenge accepted and met, please enjoy. I didn't include the purchase of wire spade connectors (or bullet type if you prefer).

http://www.amazon.com/12-VDC-5-PIN-RELA ... gy_e_img_bhttp://www.amazon.com/Absolute-RLS125-1 ... gy_e_img_bhttp://www.amazon.com/line-ACT-Water-re ... gy_e_img_c

Trying to make chump meet out of the monkeymistro
opus10583

Post by opus10583 »

Fiatmonkey wrote:Challenge accepted and met, please enjoy. I didn't include the purchase of wire spade connectors (or bullet type if you prefer).

http://www.amazon.com/12-VDC-5-PIN-RELA ... gy_e_img_bhttp://www.amazon.com/Absolute-RLS125-1 ... gy_e_img_bhttp://www.amazon.com/line-ACT-Water-re ... gy_e_img_c

Trying to make chump meet out of the monkeymistro
Point taken.

Now try this: http://www.international-auto.com/light ... de-kit.cfm

Please download and check out the User Manual offered.

Thanks,
Mark

Fiatmonkey

Post by Fiatmonkey »

Ok checked it out, finally. Sorry for the delay (life gets in the way). Very good write up, but I'm really not cool with goining in front of the radiator. You can do all of this from inside the engine compartment and cockpit of the car. But, that being said their way is just one way of like 12 different ways to do it. So, if a person is good with going in the grill then go to town. That's just not my cup of banana leaf tea.

But very interesting it's always cool to see how other people do things.

Either way don't aim your lights in my tree while I'm sleeping!
opus10583

Post by opus10583 »

Fiatmonkey wrote:Ok checked it out, finally. Sorry for the delay (life gets in the way). Very good write up, but I'm really not cool with goining in front of the radiator. You can do all of this from inside the engine compartment and cockpit of the car. But, that being said their way is just one way of like 12 different ways to do it. So, if a person is good with going in the grill then go to town. That's just not my cup of banana leaf tea.

But very interesting it's always cool to see how other people do things.

Either way don't aim your lights in my tree while I'm sleeping!
Two things that sell if for me: I don't have to pretend I have experience fabricating sub-harnesses, and I don't have to re-invent the wheel.