Where to begin?

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
Indyandy

Where to begin?

Post by Indyandy »

I just dug out my 81 Fiat Turbo. Been sitting for 15 years in dry storage. Where do I begin to bring it back to life? What should I check? I know to change all the fluids, but feel overwelmed with all the things I think I should do.
grittracing

Re: Where to begin?

Post by grittracing »

baby steps . start by draining the gas tank, than flush the fuel lines and change the filter. than get it started than go from there.
racydave

Post by racydave »

Basically anything rubber needs to be redone. Especially the tires. Fuel, brake hoses, guibo, new fuel, timing belt and new tensioner bearing, fan belts. I would love to see her!
majicwrench

Post by majicwrench »

I'm with "babysteps". New gas. New battery. Disconnect fuel lines up front and run fuel thru em. Then see if it starts.
If it starts, celebrate, order a timing belt before you run it too long. The next step will appear...

A lot of the fluids, trans, rear end, antifreeze, are gonna be fine for the short term. Get er running.
Loooking forward to hearing more!
Keith
Indyandy

Post by Indyandy »

Thanks for the replies. I have the tank almost completely drained. I thought I would remove it and flush it out, but the 4 bolts holding it in wont budge. I have been soaking them, but feel they will snap off it I apply more pressure to them. Should I just sponge out on the fuel, wipe the tank out and fill it with fresh? Or should I remove it even if I break off the studs? If they do break can I have new studs welded in or drill them out and put bolts back in? It doesn't look too bad. There may be one little spot of rust though. Racydave I hope to get this on the road and maybe we can meet up? Thanks Andy
majicwrench

Post by majicwrench »

So you can see in the tank?? If it looks basicly clean, just get all the old stuff out and add new. If it is full of rust and water, get er out of there.
Keith

My 72 has a drain plug --if I recall correctly.. and bolts in with nuts and bolts, so snapping something no big deal. 81 could be much different....
grittracing

Post by grittracing »

If you are going to wield new studs on flush it really good than let sit a couple of days open ! Just so you dont blow yourself up. I know you know this just a friendly reminder.
racydave

Post by racydave »

If it looks clean inside, you will not need to remove it. You can tie a rag to a coat hanger to sop up what will not siphon out. To siphon, use a long hose, have the outside part of the hose lower than the fluid level, and blow compressed air across the tip of the hose as it actually creates a vacuum. If you are going to remove the bumper shock on the left side, the tank will need to come out. There are some conditioners to coat the tank if needed. You can find posts on reconditioning tanks. Luckilly, mine was clean! But the old gas was nasty! Use a approiate lighting source also, incandesent bulbs are dangerous.
nelsonj
Your car is a: 1972 Spider 124

Post by nelsonj »

This may be obvious but MAKE SURE THERE IS FLUID IN THE RADITOR!

I would drain and fill it.
eddy314

Post by eddy314 »

I'm in the Indy area also and racydave has helped me out immensely. I'll be glad to come over and take a look at your car along with Dave. I even have a spare gas tank if you need it.
jimmycakes401

Post by jimmycakes401 »

How's this thing going? I'll be trying this same thing with a 1981 in coming weeks. Hasn't been started in a few years. My gas tank is out though. And it's new.So are the gas lines. Well, they were two to three years ago.
Indyandy

Post by Indyandy »

Haven't had a chance to get back to her. My wifes car needed some attention. Will look at it some more Thursday Pm. I think I will drain the rest of the fuel out and wipe the tank out. Then go from there. I need to get some brake caliper kits ordered and a fuel filter. Is there a good way to flush out the fuel pump? Eddy314, I live north of Indy. I hope I can have this out before August, but I think that is pushing it. Something always comes up.
jimmycakes401

Post by jimmycakes401 »

Yes. Something does always come up. I'm always working on our other cars. But I told my wife I will need to work on this uninterrupted if we were to get it. She agreed. Will that happen? Probably not.

Keep me posted. I'm in a similar situation. But I have a lot of body work and an interior to reinstall. :shock:
IndyMark

Post by IndyMark »

Indyandy - I just changed my log-in name from Eddy314 to IndyMark. I'm also located north of Indy in Carmel. Let me know when you're available and I'll stop by with my car and take a look at yours. Maybe Racydave can make it too. I'll be at FFO in Nashville this weekend.
124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Post by 124JOE »

IndyMark wrote:Indyandy - I just changed my log-in name from Eddy314 to IndyMark. I'm also located north of Indy in Carmel. Let me know when you're available and I'll stop by with my car and take a look at yours. Maybe Racydave can make it too. I'll be at FFO in Nashville this weekend.

i would like to see some PICs of the FFO

PLEASE
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com