Starter motors. All the same ???

Gotta love that wiring . . .
124cso

Starter motors. All the same ???

Post by 124cso »

I have a an intermittant starting problem at present. The car has always been slow to turn over (255CCA battery in trunk). Sometimes it is fine, other times it needs a jump to even turn. I suspected the long lead or dud terminal/connection but auto elec suggests faulty starter "just leave it with us" :twisted: ( $$$$$$$$$) yeah right !
My question, if I need to find another starter, will one out of a 1608 or 1800cc fit my 2000cc or are there differences ?
A 1608cc /1800cc one is much easier to find here than off a 2.0l
Your car is a: 1982 131 Superbrava warmed 2.0 litre.

Re: Starter motors. All the same ???

Post by 131 »

I've got 3 x 2 litre starters sitting in the shed if you want to pay freight across the ditch. There's not a lot to a starter motor, you could always strip it down and give it an overhaul. Not sure on the 1608 starter, but an 1800 item will bolt up to a 2 litre.
Mick.

'82 2litre 131, rally cams, IDFs & headers.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

255cca is not much of a battery, in fact I don't think I've seen one with a rating that low. I'd measure the starter draw before jumping into anything. The starter motors will interchange
124cso

Post by 124cso »

My mistake for reading it at night. 255 is maker's model No. Is 310cca.
I still have the battery I took out of it just after i bought it & that is 230cca. Probably typical car dealer - cheapest one that will make it go.

Edit. I see the Fiat North America manual calls for a 255cca battery