Dash wires Red connector

Gotta love that wiring . . .
chico

Dash wires Red connector

Post by chico »

So I was working on my Carb and realized I needed a rebuild kit.......so now having to wait for this kit I decided to look into my dash wiring. Strange how when working on Fiats 1 thing leads to the next Gas...electricity....fires....hummmm. Anyways I regress I've got the dash open and it is just a jumble and mismatch of looses wires burnt wires and ugliness. I came upon a red connector that should only have four wires according to the schematics but it actually has five in and five out. The colored wires I'm not worried about but it has 2 pins that both have white wires on them...one goes to fuse 1 which is connected to the fuel indicator and the other white one does what :?: This is the set of wires I want to replace cause they looked fried, any help would be great and next winter the dash comes apart and we start from wire number one till the end making sure everything is good. Thanks Rob
chico

Re: Dash wires Red connector

Post by chico »

So do to lack of sleep went back to look at the wires again and this time was able to follow them properly. Turns out this set of white wires leads to a ground under the dash and then re traces itself back to another connector. Simplified things by running the wires the shortest route and then back to red connector, silly fiat. Thanks for looking Rob
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Post by mdrburchette »

What year car are you working on?
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
1978 124 Spider Lemons racer
1974 X19 SCCA racer (Paul)
2012 500 Prima Edizione #19 (Mini Rossa)
Ever changing count of parts cars....It's a disease!
chico

Post by chico »

its a 78 Spider, that needs alot of tlc, but I knew that when I bought it. The funny thing was the wiring really was not giving me any problems but I saw the burnt white wires in the dash and they bothered me that I knew I needed to replace and fix them. Thanks Rob
bobbycook

Re: White wire/Dash wires /Red connector

Post by bobbycook »

I became concerned when I read this post..it has ben my expiernce that white colored wires were the 12 volt feeds..You said you found them grounded??? Did u find what cause them to burn?? Where does the red connector go??

just wonderding??

Bobby
chico

Post by chico »

The Red connector on the schematics is called a C24 that has a white wire, grey/red, L blue/yellow, and Grey/yellow. They then go to corresponding wires on opposite side of connector other than the white which becomes a yellow/black. Now this is were the confusion should end but the schematics does not show the fifth wire which also was a white which goes to a white/black wire on the opposite end of the connector. This white wire that connects to the white/black wire is the one that was charred and burnt. Following this white wire lead me to a bottle cap ground under the dash and then ran back to another connector that also had white/blck on the other end of it. Don't quite understand and since he carb is off and have not been able to test my wiring yet unless I disconnect the fuel pump and start another project.....one project at time for tis old fiat. Thanks for looking and if you got any info please feel free to let me know Rob