new battery but engine won't turn. single click engine area

Gotta love that wiring . . .
oldyout

new battery but engine won't turn. single click engine area

Post by oldyout »

hello there,
i replaced the battery today and when i turn the key i hear a click coming from the right side. three key turns and three single clicks from each turn but on the fourth turn there was no clicking sound. coinciding with some of the clicks was another single click coming from under the dash.
any idea what's going on?
KalamazooJohnny
Your car is a: 1976 spider 1977 spider 1965 1100D

Re: new battery but engine won't turn. single click engine area

Post by KalamazooJohnny »

Maybe the starter going out?
Try putting it in first gear and rocking the car back and forth a couple times. Then try starting it again.
"Get used to people calling it an MG. Hardly anybody recalls Fiats, but people remember MGs because they once saw one on fire." -Corey Farley, Autoweek January 20, 2003
76spider
77spider
65 1100D
oldyout

Post by oldyout »

put it into first gear and rocked it with no response.
pressing the horn it seemed to sigh heavily and then it honked on the second press.
jimincalif
Your car is a: 1980 FI Spider

Post by jimincalif »

Do you know the new battery is fully charged? Do you have a multimeter to check its voltage?

Are the battery connections clean and tight? Is the ground wire connection from the battery to the body clean? Did you clean the connections where the battery cable attaches to the starter?
1980 FI Spider
whiterabbit

Post by whiterabbit »

You only replaced the batt. soooo......
*Weak batt.? Put the charger on it. new batts are not fully charged and MUST be put on a charger befor use.
*Wired the batt in wrong? Check to see if +to + and - to short ground cable.
*Loose and or corroded connections? Inspect,clean or replace, and tighten ALL connections.
The problem is something you just did if all was good prior. Replaced batt? Might have been a bad connection causing your troubles (not charging or hard starting)in the first place. My 2 cents.