broken spark plug wire and its consequences

Gotta love that wiring . . .
dinosabella
Your car is a: 1977 Fiat 124 Spider

broken spark plug wire and its consequences

Post by dinosabella »

While tinkering around with the car yesterday, I realized that my spark plug wire closest to the fire wall was no longer snapping onto the plug itself. (no click).

In the last few months I have been having trouble with my electrical system heating up. The system would cut out, (silencing the fuel pump). I would scientifically smack the last two fuses closest to the steering column and the system would activate again. This goes on over and over every few minutes.

Could these two systems be related. Could my non connecting spark plug wire have an effect on the entire electrical system thus over heating certain systems?

Thanks

Dino
azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Re: broken spark plug wire and its consequences

Post by azruss »

unless you are an avid believer in chaos theory (a butterfly flapping its wings in Brazil changes the weather in Greenland :roll: ) I would say they are unrelated problems. Even if the wire isnt tight on the plug, the spark will jump and make the plug fire. if it gets too far away, it wont fire and your car will run like sh?t. does sound like you need to do some fuse box maintainence. clean the holder springs and rebend them so they have more tension on the fuse. clean the fuse tips too. check your wire connections to make sure you dont have any loose or hanging.
dinosabella
Your car is a: 1977 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by dinosabella »

lol point taken. Thanks for the advice regarding cleaning up the fuse box. I guess it makes sense to start there rather than tear apart the wiring system. Will do it this afternoon.
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Post by TX82FIAT »

When you say your "eletrical system has been heating up". Can you elaborate. The only reason i ask is there are completely different reasons for heat with an electrical system. Poor conductivity because of corrosion, week connections, grounds or some other resistance issue is one thing that can be fixed pretty easy. Heat can be another, short to ground that moves when you hit something. Heat under the dash would worry a little. On a positive note, if you had a short to ground you would most likely blow fuses. May not be a bad idea to have a fire extinguisher in the car just to be safe?
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban