Car Running 15.5 volts at Battery Is it Too Much!

Gotta love that wiring . . .
markpink

Car Running 15.5 volts at Battery Is it Too Much!

Post by markpink »

I have issues with the starter every now and again On my 1977 124. It clicks and doesn't start and then 4 minutes later. Then sometimes the start starts but will not disengage. It starts right up. I have been checking grounds and found no issue yet. I have not checked the starter voltage yet because I haven't been able to gain enough clearance below or above.

Recently Replaced Battery and ignition switch (I carry a spare switch).

I just checked battery while running and found 15.4 volts at the battery.

Is this too much? This car has what looks like the original external Voltage regulator on the drivers side firewall. Could this be an issue?

Thanks for any and all responses.
CShroom
Your car is a: 1977 Spider

Re: Car Running 15.5 volts at Battery Is it Too Much!

Post by CShroom »

I would guess it's definitely on the high side of things. I am pretty sure you want more in the range of high 13 to low 14 depending on the car.

If the regulator can be replaced definitely consider it.
htchevyii
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 Spider hers 1972 Spider his

Post by htchevyii »

I think above 14.4V is too high. I found this thread, step 11 tells how to adjust.
http://www.turbo124.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8864
Trey
1982 SPIDER 2000, 1964 CHEVYII, 1969 Chevy Nova, 2005 DODGE RAM, 1988 Jeep Comanche
1972 Spider, 78 Spider rat racer 57 f-100,
surfingfreeman
Your car is a: 1982 2000 FI

Post by surfingfreeman »

I also had an erratic performing alt. Went thru the car at different points and the voltage would fluctuate from 14-18v fried the low beams on my headlights finally replaced the external regulator which stabilized voltages, I just bought one of mark Allisons 95 amp alts and from a different vendor a set of the Hella H4 ECE (made in Germany) with xenon bulbs and the Greg Smith light relay system, boy what a difference! Next up replace sound system including putting in a tube amplifier and head unit and front speakers MB Quart 218.61 back when they were also the quality made in Germany stuff.
azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Post by azruss »

I see you are getting the "forum answer drifting off the track" thing. very fiat :mrgreen: to get back on track. yes the voltage is too high and can be adjusted in the external regulator. No, this is not the cause of your starter issues. since you replaced the key, then you probably have a starter solenoid issue. As the solenoid ages, you have 3 problems. the contact plate the connects the 2 lugs gets dirty and you get a lousy connection. usually when the car is hot. sometime just a tap with a stick or a piece of pipe while trying to start will get it activated. 2nd the lever arm that engages the bendix drive cracks. usually when this happens, you get nothing. 3rd the soleniod shaft gets worn and develops hangup spots where it will jam. this could account for the starter not letting go. low starter voltage can also create issues. clean all terminal points on starter and battery to see if this helps. also clean the engine ground connection.
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

I agree 15.5volts at the battery is too high. How sure are you that your volt meter is accurate? Your headlights would be very bright running at that voltage and you would be burning out lots of light bulbs. Also your battery would either be wet on top from over charging or at least be quite warm after a 1/2 hour ride.
As already stated I would not expect this to cause your intermittent starter engaging problem. If the starter intermittently does not disengage I think you have to take it off to find the cause of that problem. Especially if it does this with either ignition switch in the car. Once it's off you will probably find the causes of all the issues.
markpink

Post by markpink »

The digital multimeter is a new one with a new battery. I haven't driven the car at night in a while. I think the high voltage is correct. Plus the fact that I have gone through two batteries and two ignition switches in the last year is probably some back up evidence.

I am ordering a new voltage regulator and I will be taking off the carb and the intake manifold to get a better look at the solenoid and the connections.

thanks

mark