No dash lights.

Gotta love that wiring . . .
CShroom
Your car is a: 1977 Spider

No dash lights.

Post by CShroom »

I have a good one here.

We are getting the Fiat pieced together and I have started to put the dash back together.But the dash lights are not coming on.

Now the Rheostat does work and I am getting voltage, but we may be pulling it out anyways because it does have a weak signal. When I turn the lights on I can get the light for the center console to work. It is only the instrument cluster itself. I have traced back to the three prong connector in the dash, but there is no voltage to the plug. I am not sure where to go to next. Are there any other connectors I need to check? Or something obvious that I missed?
baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Re: No dash lights.

Post by baltobernie »

Is the ground for that circuit good? I seem to remember the cluster ground wire is daisy-chained between all instruments.
CShroom

Re: No dash lights.

Post by CShroom »

The ground might be weak, but I bypassed the circuit and tested with a multimeter just in case. And the multimeter is showing no voltage.

Now I am pretty sure I have the right plug, but I probably should confirm it.

'77 Spider, when I chased the wire it appeared to go into a plug on the righthand side of the dash. This is where I was testing as it seemed to be the correct position. There was a plastic three prong connector where the lead from the lights went to. At the connector there was nothing. It then seems that the wiring goes into the main loom. I am loathe to cut it open if there is a relay or some other connector in the path i can look at first.

It is confounding since I have tested the voltage off the rheostat and got a pretty good signal, and it works there, I also tested the lead for the cigarette lighter dash light with good results.

So my assumption is there is a break somewhere between the rheostat and the dash lead, but not sure if there are other breaks, or if it goes into the fuse panel.
CShroom

Re: No dash lights. - I figured it out...

Post by CShroom »

And boy do I feel kind of dumb.

I have never actually looked at the owner's manual. It didn't come with one, and I thought I knew what all the dials did. Well, guess I didn't.

I had absolutely no clue that there are two rheostats on the '77. One for the dash panel and one for the center console. I spent time today chasing wires and found that out. *facepalm* I had the one for the dash turned off...

Sorry for the senseless post all.