horn intermittant to stop

Gotta love that wiring . . .
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

horn intermittant to stop

Post by TX82FIAT »

Reading through many of the posts i'm not sure about the answer to a horn issue on my 82' . 1. Can not hear the relay when hitting horn button. 2. Fuse is operating and the cooling fan works perfectly. 3. removing the button and shorting the wire to the hub does not work. 4. On occassion if the wheel is in a certain position or if I press down on the wheel and the column at the same time i can get the horn to work for a few tutes. 5. I've redone all the grounding hubs recently and all other electricals are working.

I'm thinking it is a continuity problem rather than the ground, fuse, relay or horn. Before I take the steering wheel off and then take the hub off... does this make sense. Is there a contact point on the other side of the hub that can become corroded or worn leading to horn failure?

Thoughts or suggestions on how to proceed are appreciated.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
TX82FIAT

Re: horn intermittant to stop

Post by TX82FIAT »

I think I found my answer reading another thread. "Horn goes on randomly when I turn the wheel". I'm going to take the wheel off tonight and take a look at the contact points. While the problem is different the pictures of the assembly along with what the symptoms my car has leadme to think I have a contact issue. I'll let everyon know how it comes out.

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
SouthSwedeSpider

Post by SouthSwedeSpider »

Good luck, it sounds as you have a similar problem like the one in my thread, just the other way around (same but different...). One of the contacts may be broken off completely. Let us know what it looks like in there.
TX82FIAT

Post by TX82FIAT »

Update, contacts on the column are completely worn down. I was able to push them up and rotate the hub to get the horn working 90% of the time. Given the turn signal sticking and the contact issue I think a new steering column is the way to go.

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban