condenser on coil on a 81 Spider?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
whiterabbit

condenser on coil on a 81 Spider?

Post by whiterabbit »

Ok, I've looked and looked in the wiring manual and none show a condenser mounter on the coil heat sink attached to the coil. Can I loose it if i go to a MSD Blaster, or Bosh coil? :lol:
aj81spider
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1974 Fiat 124 Spider

Re: condenser on coil on a 81 Spider?

Post by aj81spider »

Are you sure it's a condenser? On my 81 the ignition control module is mounted behind the coil on the heat sink. If that's what you're looking at it is necessary or the car won't start - as I found out when mine went bad. On my wiring diagram it's (poorly) represented as two extra connections on the coil.
A.J.

1974 Fiat 124 Spider
2006 Corvette
1981 Spider 2000 (sold 2013 - never should have sold that car)
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Post by manoa matt »

It is a condenser, it suppresses the ignition system from interfering with the radio.

You will need to check the specifications of the MSD coil against the stock one. The Bosch blue coil is for points applications and does not have the same primary and secondary resistances as a coil designed for breakerless electronic.

This coil has the correct primary and secondary resistance measurements, which are the same specifications as the stock coil for electronic ignitions: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACC-8145/ If you check the Summit site you may find another coil with the same specifications.
aj81spider
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1974 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by aj81spider »

Interesting. My 81 doesn't appear to have one. Do you have a picture of where it goes and how it's mounted?

I haven't run the radio for any duration since I bought the car (too much fun and bad speaker), but if I'm ever going to I suppose I should be prepared.
A.J.

1974 Fiat 124 Spider
2006 Corvette
1981 Spider 2000 (sold 2013 - never should have sold that car)
whiterabbit

Post by whiterabbit »

Yep, It's not the control module that hides behind the coil on the heat sink. This is screwed on the side of the heat sink with the wire running to the coil +. Car had a radio so I figure it was there to suppress noise.
Looking at the selection of low ohm coils for electronic ignitions. The stock one reads high on the multimeter and gets hot as hell so I figure it's time for a new one.
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Post by manoa matt »

Modern spark plug wires usually have suppression cores and the condenser is not needed. The old condensers were a small aluminum cylinder with a wire coming out of one end. Usually made by Audiovox.

"The stock one reads high on the multimeter and gets hot as hell so I figure it's time for a new one."

Its likely someone used a points coil for your electronic ignition. Points and electronic ignitions usually have the same secondary resistance measurements, but a points coil will have a higher primary resistance measurement.

This will help, FYI the readings are for an electronic coil: http://www.international-auto.com/fiat- ... n-coil.cfm
whiterabbit

Post by whiterabbit »

Real high on the primary reading. It's an oem "Magnelli" (prob spelld wrong,at work now. LOL) I've found a few early model parts on this car so.......Yep, looking at the coil selection out there.