69 fiat . missing

Gotta love that wiring . . .
fiat218
Your car is a: 1969 124 AS spider

69 fiat . missing

Post by fiat218 »

what would cause a low pressure oil lite to come on when it idles , i was on a journey to fargo, 80 miles away and all off a sudden i lost power and it seems to miss and it sucked up my gas bad.
made it there and back
oil senser lite came on when at a idle, i check the oil and all well

thanks

oh. and as of last nite, i stopped on the street to move my truck out of the driveway. now the car would not fire so i can to push it up this long drive i have, thank god for a lite car, at 57 i can still push hahaha
i will check it this morning and see if it fires
i am thinking it the points or coil

what would make a car lose power?
maybe it not electrical?
Jim
East Grand Forks MN
1970 Fiat Spider BS1 ( FOR SALE
1969 124 AS Spider
2017 Abrath
2018 Alfa Romeo 4c Spider
bulldog4444

Re: 69 fiat . missing

Post by bulldog4444 »

I only have 30 years experience with my 78 Spider but here is what I have come up with.

1) Possible fouled plug. Pull each, inspect, re-gap if OK (Check the wires for signs of burnt spots which could also cause mis-fires or cross-fire)
2) Rotor in the distributor has always failed me first. It never shows visually as being bad but replacing it has fixed half my mis-firing problems. Might as well pop on that extra distributor cap you have in your trunk.
3) If you havn't replaced your points and condensor I would consider them next. Replace the points and condenser with the Crane electronic ignition and say good by to hard starting and hello to happiness. My Spider used to take out points in as little as 500 miles sometimes. The Crane is electronic and has been in my car for 29 years (very reliable and easy to install).
4) I had a fuel pump give me that symptom also, seems the arm that runs off the cam can bend and screw up the fuel pressure. It would run great for awhile and then not. (Not a likely issue but possible)
5) Low oil pressure and poor gas mileage indicates the mis-fire. Three cylinders are now producing all your horse power and the fourth cylinder is just throwing the fuel out to god. Since the car is probably ideling at around 200-500 rpm you will see the oil pressure light either come on or just flicker.
6) A bad coil could be another potential problem but my experience with a bad coil was total failure, not mis-fire. Just my experience.
7) Compression test if the above ideas didn't find something because I have had both a blown head gasket and a chipped valve over the years. Both gave the same problem as you are describing.
I have some more possibilities but these should keep your busy and probably will find your problem there.
Good luck
fiat218
Your car is a: 1969 124 AS spider

Re: 69 fiat . missing

Post by fiat218 »

thanks , those are all great idea to start looking
Jim
East Grand Forks MN
1970 Fiat Spider BS1 ( FOR SALE
1969 124 AS Spider
2017 Abrath
2018 Alfa Romeo 4c Spider