Removing components from the circuit-Pictures

Gotta love that wiring . . .
Schnauzer

Removing components from the circuit-Pictures

Post by Schnauzer »

The dash panels on my 76 are warped beyond repair. The center dash bezel (chrome over plastic) is peeling and looks crappy. I have made a new dash panel that incorporates both pieces in to one. Panel stretches from the far left of the dash to the left edge of the glove box lid. Looks kinda cool to me. I am looking for a very clean uncluttered look. I plan to remove/delete the 1)Dash light dimmer 2)Wiper delay 3)EGR light 4)Idiogram reostate 5)Fasten Seat Belt Light / Buzzer 6)Hazard Light Switch

Here is the question. Do I merely tape off the wires to prevent shorting or are they (some/all) required in the circuit. For instance, do I remove and tape the wires from the lighting reostat or connect them together to complete the circuit sans the reostat?

Thanks for the help.

Jim
Last edited by Schnauzer on Tue May 10, 2011 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tartan18
Your car is a: 1975 Fiat 124 Spider

Re: Removing components from the circuit

Post by tartan18 »

Excellent question because yesterday I tore into my dash and encountered the same issues. I will be watching this thread with a lot of interest. Can you share a picture of your re-designed center panel?
Jim MacKenzie
1975 Fiat Spider
Finest Italian Automotive Technology
Schnauzer

Post by Schnauzer »

tartan18: I just finished staining this morning and hope to have it lacquered to a blinding shine and installed this weekend. I will try to post the pictures but have had problems doing so in the past. If you will send me an email I will send you the pictures by return email. I know how to do that. I think it is really going to look nice. I also made a matching cover for the radio knock out plate. Who needs a radio in a Spider. I want to enjoy the exhaust note right?

Jim
caliber_ranch@msn.com
divace73
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat 124 Spider Silver

Post by divace73 »

You may fing that taking out the hazzard light switch (which I would leave) may affect your indicators, I know it does on my 1980. It would be best to get a wiring diagram of your model and work it out. Another option is to leave it all connected and just place it behind the dash.
I have actually omitted the light illumnation switch on mine (the switch is still in situ) which worked but I did do it using the wiring diagram
Cheers David
-=1980 silver Fiat 124 Spider=-
If you want to see pics of my car (and other random stuff) >>click here<< OR
see my >>You tube channel<<
geert
Your car is a: 1977 1800spider

Post by geert »

Ah, removing components from the circuit ! (and fitting a new,modern fusebox)

that's on my list for next winter, especcially the stuff hanging on the passengersite on 1976- 1979ish ? cars.
(now trying to enjoy the fiat and preparing the Mini for Liège-Brescia-Liège this summer ! :D )
however, if you look at the wiring diagrams, it's not that easy.
And there is not too much to be found at the internet about it.

something for a joint-venture on this forum ?
From september on, I 'll be very happy to give idea's ( and much more) asking questions.

groeten, Geert.
Last edited by geert on Sun May 01, 2011 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
geert
Your car is a: 1977 1800spider

Post by geert »

Schnauzer wrote:Here is the question. Do I merely tape off the wires to prevent shorting or are they (some/all) required in the circuit. For instance, do I remove and tape the wires from the lighting reostat or connect them together to complete the circuit sans the reostat?

Thanks for the help.

Jim
sorry, forgot to answer. :oops:

just removing and taping won't do the job :
1)Dash light dimmer : connect the Y/R wire with the W/R one (on a 77) otherwise no dashboardlight
but especc Hazard Light Switch is not that simple : on every car it's kind of complex because with the switch 'off' it closes the indicators ciruit (switch and relais), with the switch 'on' it opens the indicators circuit. ( meaning you should connecting the wires on the 'off'-site ( not sure witch) together to get indicators functioning) And Fiat has managed to make that Hazard Light Switch the 'neural' centre of the electric brains of the car.
4)Idiogram reostate no idea what that is ( but sounds important ( and trivial) :wink: )

hope it helps, groeten, Geert.
Schnauzer

Post by Schnauzer »

Thanks for the replies. Geert, I did as you suggested for the instrument lights. Prior to doing so I took voltage readings. I switched and rotated the reostat to all positions and never got a full 12v reading. I have done the brown wire fix. Measured 12.6v at the input of the reostat. Highest reading I got for the output was 10.2v. No wonder the guage lights were so dim. Removed the reostat, soldered the wires, shrink tubing and a label. Dash looks great in the dark.

I have the newly configured dash installed. Looks nice to me. I have taken pictures but have not mastered posting then here. If you have the moves on this please email me and I will email back the photos to be posted.

Jim
caliber_ranch@msn.com
DocGraphics
Your car is a: 1978 124 spider

Post by DocGraphics »

Per Jim's request here are his pics, he will explain them.

Great looking job on the dash! I like the dark color.
Are you going to put a radio elsewhere?
Cute dog too.
Don Raugust
1978 Fiat 124 Spider "Fiona" - Burgundy/Tan
2011 pics: http://s918.photobucket.com/albums/ad22 ... 0Pictures/
2012 pics: http://s918.photobucket.com/albums/ad22 ... cs%202012/
divace73
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat 124 Spider Silver

Post by divace73 »

woof, woof, I'm impressed by the dog as well :)
Cheers David
-=1980 silver Fiat 124 Spider=-
If you want to see pics of my car (and other random stuff) >>click here<< OR
see my >>You tube channel<<
Schnauzer

Post by Schnauzer »

I am opting to not have a radio. Firstly I like the exhaust note and just enjoying the driving experience. Secondly with technology advancing at the pace it has I am sure I can have an am/fm/cd/mp3/ipad player implanted in one of my teeth. As can be seen I have deleted a lot of components I deemed unneeded or unwanted. My center plastic section was a disaster too which led to the single dash panel across to the glove box lid. I did not live up to my own expectations on the staining. I was looking for a cherry look. On the bench under the lights it looked great but once mounted vertically under the lip of the dash it became a little dark. Oh well, still it is a huge improvement over the warped split original.

Also picture is my head German engineer, Magnum. He is a loyal little guy and participates in all phases of this project. I am looking for a seat belt set up and a pair of aviator goggles for him as he is going on the maiden road trip soon.

A big thanks to "Doc" for posting the pictures for me.

Jim
akavinn1

Re: Removing components from the circuit-Pictures

Post by akavinn1 »

I like the dog !