Changed starter please help

Gotta love that wiring . . .
NWAspider

Changed starter please help

Post by NWAspider »

I have a 1975 spider. I was finally able to get my new starter in, ask me how much fun that was sometime. Now the car has no electrical power at all. No radio, lights, nada. While removing the old starter I noticed a large green wire I presume to be a ground attached to the bottom bolt, so naturally I made sure it was there when I put the new on in. I was looking around the engine compartment and noticed another large green wire not connected to anything. I'm going to guess this is causing my trouble. I have no idea where it goes. Please don't tell me it goes on the top bolt because I'm never going to remove that thing again. Now that I think about it is sparked when I messed with it. Could it just be another power wire that goes to the starter? Second question my old starter was only using 2 bolts, but clearly it was intended to have three. Should I go to a hardware/ automotive store and get a third one? Thank you in advance, you have no idea how frustrating this has been.
azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Re: Changed starter please help

Post by azruss »

It goes to the top bolt. the large green wire should be coming from the + terminal of the battery. (double check before you burn your car up). nothing on the bottom bolt should go to ground. the ground strap should bolt to one of the starter mount bolts. Yes, get a 3rd bolt for the starter. If you have 2 and lose another one, the damage will be far more expensive than a bolt.