elec. dist question

Gotta love that wiring . . .
narfire
Your car is a: 1980 124 spider

elec. dist question

Post by narfire »

Noticed a "miss" after driving the car for a couple of weeks. Checked all the plugs ect,changed them out actually and drove the car to town but the pop was still there. After driving it for 4 years you know when its not just right.
This afternoon took the dist cap off and checked that...good to go as is the rotor. However one of the wires to the pickup was touching the bottom of the rotor plate and has rubbed the plastic off and the wire is showing. OK this must be it,so all I did was black electrical tape. Took it for a spin around the block and still noticed the miss,still not right.

Question: would the 2-3 layers of black tape be enought to insulate or should I just replace the pick up and wire harness?

If it is enough I suppose I'll have to look for something else. I also added some octane boost as I think I bought some poor quality 89 octane and then topped up with 94 but 15 ks later no difference there.
I recently had my spare injectors cleaned and checked and have 4 real good ones I can make another rail with and swap all that out. (took the injector leads off and noticed the distinct change though)
Chris
80 FI spider
72 work in progress
2017 Golf R ( APR Stg. 1)
2018 F350 crew long box
divace73
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat 124 Spider Silver

Re: elec. dist question

Post by divace73 »

Hi Chris, if it is insulation tape, then yes this will be enough to insulate, I have has a similar problem. I did notice on mine that actual shaft had a lot of vertical play that caused a lot of problems. SO I swapped the dizzy, sorted out one problem but every now and then I do have a miss but lately have' had it al all.....I will be going EDIS so hopefully I will never have the problem, finger crossed.
Just ensure all the connecting plug are clean and firm.
Is the miss at the same rev range? Does it stall then take up again?
If the later It could also be a fuel issue, which the double relay is usally responsible (often a dry joint)
Cheers David
-=1980 silver Fiat 124 Spider=-
If you want to see pics of my car (and other random stuff) >>click here<< OR
see my >>You tube channel<<
narfire
Your car is a: 1980 124 spider

Re: elec. dist question

Post by narfire »

Thanks David. I have one or more spare pick-ups and might just change it out and then use this as a spare.Then the electrical is sorted. Going to change out the fuel filter as well,its been installed for the last 4 years but not too many K's.Still doing it gonna change the injectors & rail as well. Then the fuel part should be sorted. If it's still acting up...
The miss is from idle to highr rpms when driving under load.. I have Marks FI cams installed(recomend them to anybody :D ) and is a bit lumpy at idle but only because I have driven it with the stock cams for 3 years. When my head is over the fender in the drive and I pull the accelerator linkage, the engine smooths out but you sure notice it driving. It just does not have the power it had a couple of weeks ago before the pop/missing. This happened suddenly not gradually.
Chris
80 FI spider
72 work in progress
2017 Golf R ( APR Stg. 1)
2018 F350 crew long box