1978 Fiat Project

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
ewingeric

1978 Fiat Project

Post by ewingeric »

Just a couple pictures of what were dealing with this weekend..

Taking care of some rust through spots, and cleaning some gunky coating out of the car.

Comments and suggestions would be great!

grittracing

Re: 1978 Fiat Project

Post by grittracing »

media blast everything inside and out. ( i would not have cut those wires !)
ewingeric

Post by ewingeric »

grittracing wrote:media blast everything inside and out. ( i would not have cut those wires !)

What wires? None were cut.
grittracing

Post by grittracing »

oh it looks like cut wires hanging just below where the stearing wheel would be
narfire
Your car is a: 1980 124 spider

Post by narfire »

ewingeric wrote:Comments and suggestions would be great!
Beer fridge full :D
Lots of work ahead,but smile while your puttering about. Its all about the ride at the end. :D
Chris
80 FI spider
72 work in progress
2017 Golf R ( APR Stg. 1)
2018 F350 crew long box
azygoustoyou

Post by azygoustoyou »

It's easier to weld with a flange on the new metal. The tool is called a flanger. If you just butt up the new piece. It's so easy to burn through the steel. Not trying to tell you how to weld. :? You probably already know. If you do just butt the metal, take a piece of copper and put it on the back of the area your welding. Then you won't burn through and will get a nice weld. Just a small piece of copper will work. You can keep using the same piece.
Just trying to help :mrgreen:

If you do get a media blaster. A small one will do. You will need a good compressor. I wore out a 33 gal one. Just get the medium grit. It will eventually turn to fine. Use a pool skimmer screen to filter the media and reuse it. You should only need about five bags to do the whole car.
Here's what mine looked like.