Wiring for a 1975 Ignition Switch

Gotta love that wiring . . .
tartan18
Your car is a: 1975 Fiat 124 Spider

Wiring for a 1975 Ignition Switch

Post by tartan18 »

There have been a lot of posts on this topic but I have not found exactly what I need -- What is the best way to wire up my ignition switch? What I have seen thus far gives me confidence in some wire attach points on the switch but not every wire. I do not want to make a mistake.

Here is a picture of my switch.

The way it was wired when I took it apart today is the black wire was on the far left spade; the red wire was on the spade at 7 o'clock marked 50, the brown wire was on the top terminal at 1 o'clock marked 30, and the blue/black striped AND pink wire were both attached to the spade terminal at 11 o'clock marked as 15.

Why is there no wire attached to the terminal labeled INT?

I have installed the IAP headlight relay kit and now I want to do the "Brown Wire Fix." Where would this new brown wire that have run from my battery attach to the ignition switch?

Any advice would be really appreciated.
Jim MacKenzie
1975 Fiat Spider
Finest Italian Automotive Technology
italisti

Re: Wiring for a 1975 Ignition Switch

Post by italisti »

MAN, I have the same problem on my 75 Coupe!!! I was hoping you had the answer... Too bad the tabs on the ignition switch are a little different. Seems like I have a few more than yours. All my wires were pulled out when some plastic bags got wrapped them when I was pushing it around when had to get it sent into the paint shop. I have been trying to use the wiring diagram in the HAYNES manual to decode this. But when I hooked them up, my fuel pump comes on when I press the HORN button??! I am more confused than ever now....
tartan18

Post by tartan18 »

The end of the ignition switch saga is that I found out there are several types of ignition switches and the one I had didn't have the extra 30 terminal for the second brown wire. What I did is crimp/solder and then wrap with tape with a shrink wrap outer layer the connection and then attached it to the single 30 terminal. This did eliminate the voltage drop in the car so my lights, windshield wipers, etc. are all now working well -- great improvement. I did find enough of a 1975 wiring diagram to follow and if anyone is interested send me an email and I will share what I found.
Jim MacKenzie
1975 Fiat Spider
KalamazooJohnny
Your car is a: 1976 spider 1977 spider 1965 1100D

Post by KalamazooJohnny »

I have that switch on my 77 and here is how its wired clockwise from int: INT-light blue wire one side, light blue & red wire on other. 50-red wire. 30T-black wire. 15-pink wire and light blue & black striped wire together. 30-brown wire.
Hope that helps you. Don't know if you have the same colors or not.
"Get used to people calling it an MG. Hardly anybody recalls Fiats, but people remember MGs because they once saw one on fire." -Corey Farley, Autoweek January 20, 2003
76spider
77spider
65 1100D
tartan18

Post by tartan18 »

I should have mentioned that this is how I wired my 1975 switch.

Red to the 50
Black to the 30/1
Pink/Blue-Black striped to the 15
Brown to the 30
(nothing to either of the INT terminals)

One of the PO re-wired a lot so I am slowly finding out what color wire goes where.
Jim MacKenzie
1975 Fiat Spider